Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rbreedi1

Desk Lamp Recommendation

I bought the same lamp and had the same problem. Kept the lamp and ditched the glass.

i had one of these with the magnifier and it was totally useless for me. the glass got in the way of tying. gave it away

some may like it but i didnt

23020catalogue.jpg

It's an Ottlite Tattoo for me. It is a little bigger lamp for a desk lamp but it puts out amazing light clarity. This is my second Ottlite, the wife stole my first one for her crafts room. I would definitely steer away from the units with the magnifier. They just seem to get in the way when you try tieing a fly. Mainly has to do with the focal length being so short that the magnifier has to be practically on top of the fly.

I've tried alot of lights over the years...and wasted alot of money in the process. As aging comes on I need more light...and magnification. The Ott lights are very good, and you can get good deals on them from Joann's and Michael's. I finally bit the bullet and bought a set [2] of Giraffe lights, and they are great-but spendy. The price on the bulbs is surprisingly high, but again, they are simply great. I even travel to shows with mine despite their weight. For magnification, the Orvis magnifier glasses are also quite good and really last...I wear them for all my tying.

I don't use one myself, but many of my friends love the Brightech Lightview Pro (the one with 90 LEDs around a magnifier). It's very bright, and there's a version that allows you to adjust both the brightness and the color temperature (blueish white similar to daylight or yellowish warm white). Comes with a sturdy clamp, and is rotatable and twistable at its arm and head, so you can always pivot it to the exact angle you need. The magnifier is pretty handy when you need to see small details, however most people don't use it that often.

It has a floor lamp version too, but the floor lamp is quite short so it could be a problem if your desk is tall.

You can find more information about it here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UW2IRJ2/ (check the customers' reviews!) If you check around for a while maybe you'll find the one that is dimmable and can change color.

You can find a detailed review of the lamp here: https://www.hookedtobooks.com/best-desk-lamps/

Lots of choices out there, and I've tied with many over the years, with few complaints. The top two aspects I look for is the ability to pivot the head(s) and for it to travel with no issues (for fly tying shows). I switched to LED lights a couple years ago, and haven't looked back. The light I'm using now is called the Pro Work Bench Light with dual LED heads, and it really is a great one. There is no heat coming off the LED's, the heads pivot, and it has a sturdy base. It also comes with an adapter to it can be attached to the side of a table or desk, if you prefer that.

My father-in-law has a similar light, though his has a magnifier. I prefer the dual heads, and you can always buy a magnifier to attach. When in doubt, always go with more light. This light has nearly too much, and occasionally removes color from my fly tying videos (stinks for the video, but great for tying!).

Here's a link, though I think with a little searching online, you can find them for less money:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251467353466?lpid=82&chn=ps

TC

I prefer LEDs too - much more efficient because most of the energy is tranfered into light instead of heat. Only the initial cost can discourage a lot of people.

I bought this lamp on sale for about $24. It folds up into a compact unit. Fantastic for portability or as a stand alone unit.

TaoTronics Glare-Free LED Desk Lamp with USB Charging Port, Touch Control Dimmable with 5 Brightness Levels and 5 Color Temperatures with Memory Function

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H4ZBRWS/

31qy4v8mofL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I bought this lamp on sale for about $24. It folds up into a compact unit. Fantastic for portability or as a stand alone unit.

TaoTronics Glare-Free LED Desk Lamp with USB Charging Port, Touch Control Dimmable with 5 Brightness Levels and 5 Color Temperatures with Memory Function

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H4ZBRWS/

I use something similar, rechargeable so I can take it with me to tying club, lasts about 10 hours once charged.

I also have the Petitjean LED lamp with tool holder for my Swiss Master Vice good but mains only as I can't get the battery pack for it.

i bought one similar to this one and threw it away. not enough light for my eyes

i couldnt get it close enough to go over my vise on my tying bench

i bought one similar to this one and threw it away. not enough light for my eyes

i couldnt get it close enough to go over my vise on my tying bench

There is a hinge at the bottom and a hinge at the top. The base is heavy so you can cantilever the light right over the vise without it tipping.

41d9VwKljtL.jpg

The videos are not the same model but it shows the adjustability of the lamp.

I dropped one of these down from shelves in front....lite up your world! I think I paid $12....48". Might need to get imaginative with the cord and put a switch on it for convience ...

image.png

What I use mostly is a regular swing arm lamp with a daylight spectrum LED bulb.

Similar to this

6359235-21.jpg