Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Clearly

database software

I have recently taken up the art of tying my own flies and was wondering if there was an updated pattern software program that I could use to enter patterns that I have put together. Most of the software programs I have seen do not appear to be up to date with windows 7 or 8. Even an excel spreadsheet would be nice.

Welcome to the site, Clearly.

Are you trying to catalog your own patterns, upload your patterns onto the web, or download patterns from the web?

Cataloging your own ... as you said, Excel would work and you can get Microsoft Office, if you're willing to pay for it. You'd get Word with that, too, and there are templates for just about everything on both of those programs.

Uploading your designs on this site ... all you need are pictures. You can post Step-By-Steps (SBS) on that forum and post them without any special program.

Downloading patterns that you wish to tie ... as Flytire pointed out, there is a way to access any pattern through several different filters.

Mainly, though, welcome to the site.

Mainly just trying to catalog what I have tied so I can remember what I used. I have mainly been using youtube as my source. Went to the Spring River in Arkansas an had a good time, not a large quantity of fish but all were caught on flies I tied!! Very rewarding. Thanks for the information. I have added the fly tying app to my tablet and will be exploring it shorty.

I'm not into tying so many patterns that I need a database. I can look at it and remember how I did it and for that matter, I might do it different next time anyway.

What I do though is keep a separate Word doc for each pattern I find that I might want to try some day. The page includes at least a finished fly photo. If it's one on the forum database, I just save the photo and the pattern number on the doc. Patterns I find elsewhere I include SBS photos if they exist. Materials and steps.

Personally I prefer Evernote. Cloud based with an offline option. All platforms. Easily searchable and useful for capturing web content. Not really a database per se, more of a online notebook, but with the built in search features, very effective.

Microsoft Access is a data base program. Most use it for a customer list name, address1, address2, city, etc. You can free form the fields to thread, hackle, wings, etc if that is what you are looking for. You can have Access word with Excel or Word.

If you can use Access, you must be from Silicon Valley! Back in the days of dBaseIII database programs were really easy to use, but as time went on, they got so complicated that everyone I know went to using Excel... not a true database but at least it works for most of the things I want it to do and you don't need a Master's Degree in computer science to use it.

for a long time I used index cards with a drawing on back, about 8 years ago I put all the info into my computer ( thankfully I kept the not cards) 2 years ago kids down loaded an online game with a virus when the "experts" tried to get rid of it computer crashed all data was lost. so I am back to index cards but now I print out 3 x 5 color photo to past on back. if you do put it on a computer make sure it is something you can store in a cloud environment so you can retrieve in case of an issue.

steve

a simple excel spreadsheet to catalog your flies and your material inventory

excel_zpsrtrdi29h.jpg

insert a picture

add the recipe (always type the original recipe where possible)

add some tying notes

provide a reference of where the fly came from. a book, your own creation, a website link etc

create books at the bottom of the spreadsheets for different styles of flies and one for your material inventory

pretty darn easy to do

however it does take time to type everything in

flytire,

Your Excel spread sheet is short, sweet, and to the point!!!! I might message you later to pick your brain. As of now I have a very large bookmark file on IE to all my flies that I tied from websites. You could even incorporate the link in your spread sheet!