Fly Tying
Fletchfishes

Wading Boots - seeking input

My wading boots are shot. Stitching is gone around mid-foot. I'm thinks of getting the BOA system on my new pair. Narrowed my choice down to either the Korker Devils Canyon or Simms G4 BOA. Both are reviewed as reasonably light, easy on/off and durable. Any thoughts on which? Any additional options I should consider?

Thanks!

My newest pair are korkers, however I wasn't sold on the whole BOA thing, regular laces if broken can be replaced in a pinch from any store (drug store, dollar store, etc.) replacing the BOA if it fails looks like a PITA!!

Korkers original Boa did sometimes get stuck when wading in fine sand. It always got unstuck, but was occasionally a struggle. I had a cable break on those too about when the boots were due to be replaced anyway. The Boa system outlasted the boot with my second pair. The ones I own now appear to have solved that occasional sticking issue, no problems at all so far.

I prefer the Korker because you can customize the sole to the conditions. Studs are real handy some times, but drift boat owners hate them. Not a problem with Korkers. The Boa system is a little faster, but its main benefit of the Boa to me is that it's just handy. Boots swell a little when they get wet or when you first start to walk. A quick twist or two and they are tight again. No relacing or retrying.

I considered BOA but passed because me and Murphy are way too close. I primarily wear Simms guide boot felt. Where felt is prohibited (e.g., MD) I have a pair of studded rubbers in an Orvis boot )mid-range, forget the model). I hate the studs. They slip and slide, even after well-breaking them in.

Guess I'm just old school (and on a tight budget therefore unwilling to take too many new adventures with expensive equipment). I trust the old lacing systems. In a year or two when more feedback comes in on the BOA, I might consider for a replacement. Who knows, the market may decide they are trash and return to something else.

Hook and eye can certainly fail as well, but after 45 years of backpacking and wading and never having a single fail, I'll stick with it.

I recently got the LL Bean River Tread boot with the BOA closure. I had previously had the exact same boot with traditional laces. I was skeptical of the BOA system, but on the recommendation of some people on this forum I went for it and I am glad that I did. I love that I can tighten the BOA system with one hand, and I love the custom fit it gives. I carry a replacement cable with me, which wasn't expensive and appears (from the instructions) to be easy to install. I do make sure to rinse the plastic knob that tightens the system after each use, and they performed flawlessly for me all last season.

I too am looking at a pair of the Korker Devil's Canyon boots, thank you for starting this thread. I do see them as very beneficial because you can change the sole of the shoe.

Thanks for the replies. Not a lot of enthusiasm for the Simms. I'm surprised! Definitely understand the reluctance with the BOA system, but I'm willing to roll the dice. Figure I can keep a repair kit in my fly bag (although I never kept a spare set of laces and seemed to have lucked out.)

I purchased the Simms guide boot a year ago and I passed on the BOA system mainly because I wasn't willing to pay extra for something that had, at the time, mixed reviews. As was previously stated, I can replace a bootlace pretty easily. Now, does my fishing buddy with the BOA system boot up more quickly, than I? yes. Everything has a price, I guess.

steve

Been thinking about replacing my felt soled boots. Just a matter of time before they are outlawed in the areas I fish.

A broken lace never kept me off the water. I have had laces break, just tie it back together with a square knot and everything works fine until you can get new laces.

Still some good info, will have to give the BOA systems a look see.

Try all the rest,then go get the best,SIMMS.

amen. need to switch between felt and studs due to regulations? buy two pairs of boots.

I use cabellas ultra lights. never had a problem, in sand, mud, or on rock. I swear the are the best for the price.