Fly Tying

You aren't going to break a cast real on a bass. Anything Lamson is great. I use the Konic II reels. I think they discontinued them and you can find them for under 100.

You aren't going to break a cast real on a bass. Anything Lamson is great. I use the Konic II reels. I think they discontinued them and you can find them for under 100.

its not so much the torque from the fish, im more concerned about banging it on something. The drag is more important to me than material. Which is why im pretty sold on lamson. The only thing I dont like about the liquid is there is a plastic lever that acts a clicker. The guru doesnt seem to have that.

Hardy Perfect. Hardy Bougle. Seriously, for the $100 mark I'd look at the Pflueger Trion 5/6 for your use. Machined aluminum. Enclosed and super smooth strong drag. Beautiful reel and round hole vented. I hate teardrops and ovals. I have a couple and have caught some strong fish on them. Never anything as big as the 104# bass you got in your first post. Drag never jerks, stays smooth. As for musky, like said, they're a slasher, not a long runner.

Hey Vicrider, you had me laughing with the 104lb bass comment. I didnt even notice the typo in my post. I went back and fixed it. Thank you for your recommendation by the way.

I picked up two Konic's at Cabelas for $100 each and four spools from Ennis Montana for $50 each. Awesome reels!

When I purchased my 4wt I put an Okuma Sierra 4/5 on the rod. Just until I good get something better. That was around 10 years ago. It's still on the rod, it's great. Inexpensive, disc drag, I have had smallmouth make it scream. Still going strong. I even put an Okuma SLV 8/9 on the 8wt I built. I use it for salmon and saltwater. That reel will hold 200yds of gel spun backing.

I also have a Cabela's Prestige mid arbor on my Redington 3wt. Can't gripe about that one either. I will even put it on my Sage. Around our area we have the philosophy of put your money in the rod and spend a little less on the reel if you want to save a few bucks.

... I went back and fixed it. ...

Oooooo ... Please don't get in that habit. LOL

Someone makes a comment about a post ... then you (or whoever posted the "mistake") fixes it ... it makes the comment pointless.

This is not directed at you, personally, Joseph. It's a request to all members.

Oops, I misspoke before on the Lamson Liquid--the reel with one spool is $99--for the "3-Pak" (reel with 3 spools) it's $159. Still a good deal in my opinion.

I have these spooled with various 8wt Lines and love it.

Joseph - I'm happy with my Guru 2 which I picked up at Sierra Trading Post at a bargain price maybe 6 weeks ago. SInce this is a discontinued item I started to think about spare spools and seeing none for the Guru 2 I started to get a bit concerned.

If you can swing it I suggest picking up a spare spool at mrfc. The good news is their price is 59.95 and the not so good news is that they will whack you for shipping.

tight lines with the new reel.

Joseph - I'm happy with my Guru 2 which I picked up at Sierra Trading Post at a bargain price maybe 6 weeks ago. SInce this is a discontinued item I started to think about spare spools and seeing none for the Guru 2 I started to get a bit concerned.

If you can swing it I suggest picking up a spare spool at mrfc. The good news is their price is 59.95 and the not so good news is that they will whack you for shipping.

tight lines with the new reel.

Im happy with the choice I made, I would like a spare spool. Right now my focus is on fly line I need something in a 5wt that will handle water temps 50 - 90 Fahrenheit. Anybody have any suggestions? Im looking at rio bonefish but would like some options.

50 to 90 degree F is about as "normal" as one can get. I'd think any fly line would be good in those temps.

So, my recommendation ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WF5F-Weight-Forward-Floating-Fly-Fishing-Line-100FT-5WT-With-Welded-Loops-/151314959000?hash=item233b130a98:g:hSEAAOxycgVTiE4q

"buy it now" price ... $10.82