Fly Tying
novabass

Chauncy Lively vise?

Looks like an AK Best vise, kinda. Maybe with a couple of extras?

The note on the vise misspelled Chauncey Lively's name.

It looks a lot like a Terra Super II with a pedestal base. Maybe just an older version. That wasn't the only vise that he used. I have his book, and there are at least two other types in the pictures depending on what pattern he was tying. You can only see the vise tip in the pics though.

Regards,

Mark

mark

i saw 2 different vises in his book too and the tip of the jaws didnt look like the photo above but the photos are in b&w and kinda fuzzy

Looks very similar to a Supreme Vise from Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's. I don't know where the "inspiration" for those inexpensive vises came from, maybe that one.

It's very possible that it's a one off hand made vise ... like the ones some of our members make.

I would think its most likely a supreme also. The small differences could just be design changes over time. I am a long time user and a big fan of the Universal II for jig tying. I have around a dozen along with a bag full of extra parts & jaws. When I get one (often abused) I tear it apart, polish the internals, add a rubber bushing where the small washer is near the jaws, and shim to take out any play internally. My parts bag is handy to find replacement parts and pieces that fit well together. There are differences with all of them and the parts sometimes can be off enough as not to always be interchangeable.

The jaw profile is completely different from the Supreme. It has a delicate jaw, whereas the Supreme has a beefy jaw.

I agree it's NOT a Supreme. I tried to imagine it might be a "one off" hand made vise that is the inspiration for the Supreme.

I also think he either pieced together the vise or designed it and had it made. It being vintage, it's more likely that others copied the vise for the market. AK Best's vise has the same jaws, more or less, and essentially the same barrel and draw handle. I don't know when AK's vise came out, but likely there is an influence there, who influenced whom is the question, likely never to be answered.

I see AK's vises are bringing $$$ on Ebay, if you can find them.

Chauncy Liveley vise from photo above

chauncy%20vise_zpslb42fokc.jpg

AK Best McKenzie vise

ak%20mckenzie_zpsvkvvnwdm.jpg

there seems to me some substantial differences

Chauncy lived on the North Branch of Michigan's Au Sable River from 1984 until his death from complications from pneumonia on February 24, 2000.

mckenzie fly tackle company took out trademarks for A.K.s in the late 90's

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/mckenzie-fly-tackle-company-inc-914284/

https://trademarks.justia.com/754/70/a-k-s-75470605.html