Fly Tying
trevinski

Possum dub?

Josephcsylvia.......the Virginia Opossum is actually evolving to be immune to poisonous snake venom. Some make copperheads up to 75% of their diet when they can. We have loads of copperheads around our house.Possums get a free pass around my house.

Because of the amount of them alongside the roads in the summer I've taken to using Armadillo for dubbing. Shellcracker sunfish seem to love it.

Armadillo eyelashes ... I've heard tell they are great for midge larva tails.

A armadillo eyelashes

Thats a new one

You guys are missing the obvious. You use 'dillo hide for scud patterns. Best used on big bluewater scuds. I hear black marlin will sip them if you suspend them in the surface film on a calm day. Opossum is part of 7 course meal down here. 'Possum pie and a six pack is the haute meal du jour! Personally I have a vendetta against opossums, bloody egg stealing, chicken killing, Bastards. Together with 'coons they keep the ammo mfgs in business around here. Keep the gators fat and happy though.

Yup, armadillo eye lashes, material for the elite collector of fly tying materials. Almost as sought after as Hens Teeth but much more prized than Frog Fur whose dubbing will tie down to a size 46.

Another reason to practice C&R on your opossums: they eat ticks.

No seriously. While most furry woodland creatures actually exacerbate the tick problem by serving as a host to the little things, opossums will actually eat the little things, to the point that they keep their local area virtually tick free.

When I learned this, suddenly I didn't mind having the little weirdos around the house so much.

Opossum is part of 7 course meal down here.

'Possum Dubbing ... I just saw a pattern for it the other day. It was called the "dead stick fly". Apparently, it's very lively looking, with lots of action ... until a predator swims near. Then it rolls over and sinks to the bottom without moving. This trait is so strong that the angler using the fly can't budge it until the predator swims away.

'Possum Dubbing ... I just saw a pattern for it the other day. It was called the "dead stick fly". Apparently, it's very lively looking, with lots of action ... until a predator swims near. Then it rolls over and sinks to the bottom without moving. This trait is so strong that the angler using the fly can't budge it until the predator swims away.

laugh.png Mike, that's funny!