Fly Tying
JustSomeGuy83

Flies from salvaged material

This topic has come up before ... and I really liked one particular answer.

Someone said they put their scraps out side, and the birds take it for nest materials. Makes all the nest in the area much prettier.

That's so awesome! Thanks for the laugh!

I am new to this hobby addiction and am learning quick as to what can be salvaged and what is just plain trash. Putting out for the birds is a good idea and we have been doing that for years with yarn and hair clippings. Now I am not putting out so much wool yarn for the birds. All or most of my yarn clippings from the winter will be hoarded for fly tying. I've made sashes and garters for re-enactors on a Inkle loom and waste can not be avoided. I have not made many flies with wool yarn but at least I will have a use for some of the trimmings when I do.

I have a molded plastic tray on my bench (i think it's something that normally is used to sprout seedlings before planting outside) and if I have a chunk of something that looks like its a save-able size it goes into there in a spot with "similar" items. Often enough I can look in there when I am tying and grab a bit of rubber leg, a couple turns of chenille or a clump of EP fiber. Sometimes it saves me from having to go looking for something in "the pile". Can't say I really need to save this stuff considering how much I have but throwing stuff away that is perfectly use able rubs me the wrong way.

J

I have a little plastic box for trimmings from Antron, flashabou and the like. I just cut em into short pieces when they go in the box, and someday I'll use them for a little added sparkle when blending dubbing.

I have another little box for hackle tips too short for palmering. I always have Adams and mosquito wings that way.

Chenille stubs make fuzzy SJWs.

Short pieces of the wretched cheap braided nylon i use for backing does alright for little black caddis wings when teased out with a bodkin.

The core of the Mylar braid I use for Zonkers is perfectly good Antron yarn

Little zonker ends make durable tails for small leeches or buggers.

Leader butts, after I have broken them off too many times, can be used to make weed guards on pike flies.

I don't try to salvage marabou butts any more, and generally not thread unless I have an immediate need for a herl wrap or very small rib.

Boy, I guess people would be mad to see me take a Bic lighter to a BAD tie... Or wait, I am reusing the hook...Does that count?

This topic has come up before ... and I really liked one particular answer.

Someone said they put their scraps out side, and the birds take it for nest materials. Makes all the nest in the area much prettier.

that's just littering. then the birds with pretty nests come and sh*t on your car. It's a lose-lose scenario. I'm surprised at you, mikechell.

:D :D :D

But you forget, JS ... No kids here.

I don't have to worry about "the next generation"!!!

I can use up all the resources, litter all over the place ... other's kids can clean it up!!!