Fly Tying
vicrider

You're invited on a "One Fly" fishing contest

Nick I'm running a little behind should have them out by the 20th

Thanks ,

Steve-stabgnid

Don't worry Steve. Just shoot for the date and do your best. I'm having my own troubles with it. The fly I'd really like to tie and the one I would fish in such a tournament I just can't tie well enough to send to others in a swap. Trying to make do with similar materials but really need the right stuff and don't have it. I've switched to an alternate pattern and it also has options in fishing for this type of tournament but not as good as my original plans.

Well Bob, I don't know how I missed your post but I'm almost willing to bet what you're going to send and you won't win in this contest because your choice is two one level. Sure it will take some fish but not all fish look up. I'm going to go back to the desk and shave my earlier attempts, try some new materials and hooks, and if I can get my choice of fly done right it almost makes the tourney a lock for me. We should probably have a side pot for biggest fish between the guys and I could use that to pay for my gas and food for the trip.

Hey, make some for me. I've just been studying your flies. Works of art but too specialized. I went back to the tying table and stuck my Cracklebacks in a box and started tying again since someone beat me to the Cracklebacks, and even though I know they cannot win the contest I was looking for an easy way out. Now I'm bearing down on the fly to win it all. I find it harder to tie than I should but getting a few out that I won't mind showing you guys as I pocket the trophy and big fish pot, and I'm used to winning those. In a bi-weekly bass tourney on different lakes fishing with my son we took big bass 4 times in a row and the guys started calling it Nick Jr.'s college fund.

I'll update the front page as soon as grandkids fall asleep and I can sneak in room to see who all is here. I do know I've not seen anything to challenge my almost sure win in this stream. Beautiful flies but too stratified in water column. If I were healthy enough to literally run from deep hole to deep hole like I used to when I was a kid I'd seriously consider a Czech Nymph to bomb the bottom but word is the water is really a mix of runs, holes, glides, not a lot of rock but a good mix of water we'll love.

By the way Bob, it was jerky that turned me into an Okie. We had come down from MN for a week to close on a house we bought down here. Got the banking done, the deed taken care of and papers filed and we owned an honest Okie 3 bedroom house, carport and shed with big storm shelter underground for $12,000. Picked up some jerky on the way over to wife's sister's house and started chewing. I had a 3 tooth bridge running from a front tooth around to a bi-cuspid. As I took a big rip of jerky out flew the bridge and presto...just like that an instant Okie with half his teeth missing. Now I have a partial for that area and put it in or take it as I'm feeling Okie or Yankee.

Fellows, I hate to disappoint you, but I mailed the winning set today. You should have them on Monday, Vicrider. A lot of thought went into the kind of fly that would work given the conditions we were told about in the invitation. And I came up with a fly that will take a trophy fish on every cast. So you guys need to be thinking in terms of second & third place, etc.

Take care

BB

I'm out of town and left the task of mailing to my better half...for reasons I can't explain she tried sending these from staples, huge mistake.

I'll send em out on Monday...ugh.

Just a check in, I can't get to the post office today. Flies will ship tomorrow, sorry this one snuck up on me a little.

Wow! I sure hope you take and show pictures of the flies being submitted on this swap.

I think you're going to see a lot of secret, guaranteed-to-catch, tied-in-the-middle-of-the-night-on-a-full-blue-moon ... live maggots on hooks.

Just a check in, I can't get to the post office today. Flies will ship tomorrow, sorry this one snuck up on me a little.

Dubs, I know what you mean. It's my swap and it snuck up on me. Had company for a week, then a weekend, now have granddaughters staying with us for summer and all of a sudden I'm at vise yesterday trying to finish up. Will look them over and probably have a to tie a few replacements today yet.