Fly Tying
eide

June Flies from the vise

I discovered some balsa in a massive cleanup of my tying room over the weekend. I hadn't done a wooden popper in a long, long time, so I decided to give it a go.

IMG_5300_zpsqh3bghfl.jpg

IMG_5304_zpsgpyxkwvi.jpg

P6273224_zps0rruax4z.jpg

P6273226_zpsxthtw7j5.jpg

New bluegill bug to test. I didn't get a couple of the legs furled quite as tight as I'd like but I doubt the fish will care. It's lightly weighted with .015 non-lead wire and small bead chain (powder painted hot orange) to keel it point up.

1C8F2309-76F1-4460-8792-AC54122C29C8_zps

I won't bog down a fly tying thread with fish photos, but I finally got to test this pattern yesterday. It flat out killed them. The pattern did what I hoped: good sink rate, fish hammered it, it somewhat "weeded out" some of the really small fish (caught mostly thick fish on it), and was extremely durable. I fished the same fly for 90 minutes before breaking it off as I was about to leave.

P6273211_zpstnnb2oz1.jpg

Those balsa poppers are cute, Cream.

I must have missed the bluegill bug post ... seeing it now, I like those bugs. That is a pretty fish pictured, too.

This is my humble entry.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

What was your source of foam for this ? I saw those pool noodles at Walmart yesterday for $2 and some change and thought wow a lifetime supply of chartreuse foam for poppers/hoppers etc. But didn't know if it was too open celled.