Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kenmorr

Trying to find a certain material

I have some really old winging material that I bought back in the '90s. It's called Lite Bright and was sold by Orvis, my problem is I'm now just about out of it and want more.

Is anyone on here familiar with the material and could suggest a good replacement? The stuff I have makes a nice streamer and has a good amount of volume to it.

Thanks,

Ken

post-55226-0-91132000-1465746873_thumb.jpg

Spirit River still makes it. Lite bright is a lot like angel hair, though, so that may be an acceptable substitute.

I've seen that online, and may buy a pack to try. Unfortunately the few fly shops "near" me don't carry it.

take your almost empty package of what you have to your local craft shop and try to match it up there

Lite Brite also was once made as a translucent sheet that you could slice a strip from for use in winding on segmented bodies. It had a deep irriidescent quality when wound over reflective silver or gold mylar or doubled a bit on itself. The chartreuse and purple made killer steelhead/salmon flies. Have not seen it in a donkey's age.

Rocco

Since Hareline seems to have better distribution than Spirit River, you might also look for Ice Wing Fiber at your local shop. Lite Brite was an early shredded mylar product on the market, but there have been many others since.

lite bright preceded ice dubbing. I always bought it direct from Spirit River . I still use it for a courser dubbing and under wings for caddis patterns.

PHG,

Thats what I was looking for, thanks. I'll also check some craft stores.

Kenmorr,

I found Angle Hair at a local knitting store and a quilting store.

Michael

green-rok-worms-_4_1_zpsbmprviwv.jpg

PT/TB

Did you tie the "collar" at the hook eye, then slide the bead on? Or was tying the collar the last thing you did?

Cool looking flies.