Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FWALSH

Fluorescent thread

Anyone know of a fluorescent green thread comparable to Veevus 16/0 size ? I tried Veevus fluor green thread but don't like it . Thanks.............Frank

Veevus has been the only chartreuse/fluro lime coloured thread I've found not to snap too easily. I posted a thread last year on it and a few people found the same issue with other brand fluro thread.

Think its something during the dying process weakens the thread.

Be keen to hear if you find an alternative.

I never tie with thread that fine. I would think that white thread and a florescent green Sharpie would give you the color you want.

I use a lot of fl. green thread and really like the UTC 210 for that color (I have almost an entire box of spools in fl. green from Danville -their flat waxed nylon - and I'm not happy with it at all...). If the color from UTC holds up through the different sizes available it might be just what you're looking for...

Funny thing, I've been very pleased for many, many years with the colors from Danville (I use mostly the flat waxed and stock in at least ten colors by the box - but also their 3/0... so not nearly much finer thread that many freshwater tyers use as their standard thread size). Since I always buy my threads by the box of 12 or more it was really disappointing when that one box in fl. green wasn't up to their usual standard. I will use it up eventually on other projects but it was much darker than other boxes of the fl. green I'd bought previously...

Like many tyers I've had my share of disappointments with various materials (or sudden poorer quality from a long established supplier...). Mostly I just take it in stride and try to find some other use for it.... then do my best to find an alternate source or different manufacturer...

I use the flouro 16/0 Veesus all the time in green and orange. I find it hard to break with reasonable force. Sometime I tie a whole fly with using it for a hot butt and hot collar, sometimes finish a fly with heavier thread and just use Veesus for hot spot. The more I've paid attention to flytire and crackaig on not wrapping more than needed to hold or lock material the more I find I can use a heavier thread on smaller ties and just use light thread for special purposes.

Anyone know of a fluorescent green thread comparable to Veevus 16/0 size ? I tried Veevus fluor green thread but don't like it . Thanks.............Frank

whats wrong with it and why dont you like it?

is it breaking from being heavy handed? bobbin holder too tight on the spool? a nick in the bobbin holder tube causing fraying?

have you tried going up in size to 14/0, 12/0, 10/0?

semperfli nano silk comes in 18/0 lime green

No problem with thread strength . Just don't like the colour Veevus calls fluorescent green . I will just use Veevus 16/0 white with a fluor green marker . I use it on small Humpies

so wanted as small a thread as I could find .