Fly Tying
thinkingredneck

Fly Rod "Lures"

Maybe we could call it line load fishing, since its the line that loads the rod for the cast. Even TenKara fishing used the line to load the rod. If you really wanted to, it is possible to load a spinning rod with a traditional fly line and cast using the weight of the line. A proficient caster can cast a reasonable distance with a spinning rod, using fly line to load the rod. I used to build ultra light spinning rods for some of my clients using 9 and 10 foot fly rod blanks. The guides were spinning rod guides and the handle was set up like a traditional spinning rod. I never had any one request that I build a fly rod on a spinning rod blank.

Maybe it should be called Rythmic Fishing, for the timing needed in the cast and because it reminds me of the ribbon program in rythmic gymnastics. Yes, some Olympic events leave deep scars...

Well let me throw in a ringer...

I turn to a clear bubble(part filled with water for weight) at the end of a tapered line to throw flies on my spinning reel. I still think of it as a bastardized form of fly fishing.

That's not a "ringer" ... it was mention a few posts earlier by utyer.

Actually, unless I missed utyers post, I mentioned the bubble Mike. I brought it up because I knew a guy whose son tied flies for him and then this guy took the flies and fished with a bubble and spinning gear and stated outright he was "fly fishing" in this particular pond we both knew quite well. He never did own a fly rod. He was a very strong willed person you might say and not worth the argument to explain what he was doing was not fly fishing ( telling him that would knock his nose out of joint about 60 degrees northward). And truth be known, I was more interested in what flies the son had tied for him than getting into an argument about what constitutes fly fishing ! They sounded very successful.

Edit: I did miss his post, he apparently posted as I was typing mine.

I agree it is more of the gear that is being used.

According to Merriam-Webster;

Full Definition of Lure

1: an object usually of leather or feathers attached to a long cord and used by a falconer to recall or exercise a hawk

2:

a: an inducement to pleasure or gain: enticement

b: appeal, attraction

3: a decoy for attracting animals to capture :as

a: artificial bait used for catching fish

b: an often luminous structure on the head of pediculate fishes that is used to attract prey

At least most folks on this forum will call an Adams, Gold Ribbed Hares Ear, Elk Hair Caddis and so forth a fly. But when you look definition 3a, they are an artificial bait, there fore a LURE.

I've had a rod break when a bead head fly hit it so I'm damn sure I'm not flinging any metal spoons with any of my fly rods

"fly" or "lure" both are artificial imitations of fish food

Post number 4 ... Utyer posted, "One can easily cast a hares ear or woolly bugger on conventional tackle by simply using a water filled bubble to load the rod. While you are fishing (in this case) with what are mainstream 'flies', you are NOT by definition 'fly fishing.'"

If the fly is the determining factor to some of you guys, then why hate on the tenkara guys lol they are using a fly after all! Lol

I, for one, don't hate the fishing method ... I just hate the name, "Tenkara". It's a skinny cane pole.

One of my favorite fishing methods is to hold a cane pole out in front of the boat with one hand, while I scull the boat forward with the other ... effectively trolling a small offering along or through a weed line. It can get some wicked strikes that surprise the hell out of me. I don't do it much anymore, though, because my physical limitations make continual sculling less enjoyable.

I think I'd like to try it again with one of those skinny cane poles, but since it's got that fancy name, those cane poles are extortionately expensive.

And it wouldn't be "fly fishing" ... it'd be "cane pole fishing."

Forgot, there was a company in Ansonia Ohio that made spoons for fly rods. I believe the name was Hoffman. Not sure if they still exist.

edit;

Did a search, guess they may be still around. here's the link http://www.hofmannsluresinc.com

Thank-you for this. My grandfather left me several of these when he passed...I never knew what they were for.

DrVette,

My pleasure, I have relatives in the area. I have a cousin who retired from the post office in Arcanum OH and gave me one of their business cards a number of years back.

It makes scenes...The Zordel side of my family came from Akron Ohio. My mom's side. And my Grandpa Dell.

Post number 4 ... Utyer posted, "One can easily cast a hares ear or woolly bugger on conventional tackle by simply using a water filled bubble to load the rod. While you are fishing (in this case) with what are mainstream 'flies', you are NOT by definition 'fly fishing.'"

If the fly is the determining factor to some of you guys, then why hate on the tenkara guys lol they are using a fly after all! Lol

I, for one, don't hate the fishing method ... I just hate the name, "Tenkara". It's a skinny cane pole.

One of my favorite fishing methods is to hold a cane pole out in front of the boat with one hand, while I scull the boat forward with the other ... effectively trolling a small offering along or through a weed line. It can get some wicked strikes that surprise the hell out of me. I don't do it much anymore, though, because my physical limitations make continual sculling less enjoyable.

I think I'd like to try it again with one of those skinny cane poles, but since it's got that fancy name, those cane poles are extortionately expensive.

And it wouldn't be "fly fishing" ... it'd be "cane pole fishing."

I did miss post 4, he apparently posted that as I was typing mine, they are close together in posting times.with his being first.

A lot of first person speaking next: As to Tenkara, to me there is nothing in the name but that I thought they telescoped and that those were the expensive ones. I had no idea there was a straight cane pole and that those too are expensive ! I have no interest in the whole concept anyway, if I want to run a fixed length of line then that's how much line I let off my spool and then fish with it. I've done this many many times but not enough times or consistently enough to warrant buying an expensive cane pole for that purpose. Sometimes I think people just like to embrace other cultures. Or perhaps they just like something they comprehend as "different". I guess if I wanted to do this bad enough then I'd buy a cane blank and build one.

For me whatever I want to fish any way I want to fish it as long as it's legal who cares!!!!! There are other boards that have an elitest attitude that as far as I'm concerned I don't go to anymore.

If someone doesn't like the way I'm fishing that's their problem. And for the sake of argument I've never used a pistol pete, or clouser or lead wire wrapped fly. The weighted fly I have is a couple of bead heads which I've never used yet!!LOL The only complaints I get is when a section of the river here was made artificial only (which is BS) the tax's I pay on tackle go in the same fund as everyone else. I tied up some jassids, wooley nymphs and renegades on tiny jigheads and fished them in that stretch, game wardens got called and he had to tell the Purists that I was fishing legally!!

Jassid

100_4406.jpg

Wooley nymph

100_3664.jpg

renegade

100_5461.jpg

FISHING IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN AND RELAXING!!! NOT ARGUMENTATIVE ABOUT HOW SOMEONE ELSE IS FISHING!!!

For me whatever I want to fish any way I want to fish it as long as it's legal who cares!!!!! There are other boards that have an elitest attitude that as far as I'm concerned I don't go to anymore.

If someone doesn't like the way I'm fishing that's their problem.

FISHING IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN AND RELAXING!!! NOT ARGUMENTATIVE ABOUT HOW SOMEONE ELSE IS FISHING!!!

Exactly how i feel about it! Great post.

Good luck convincing a game warden that you are fly fishing with a spinning rod in a fly fishing only area.

Try casting a spinning rig or casting rig like you cast a fly rod, and while I’m thinking about it there is also skill in casting a bait casting rod and reel. Bait casting doesn’t that sort of mean I’m throwing the bait and not the line? Are we not supposed to be promoting good sportsmanship while on the water and off, so why would we as fly fishermen put down or belittle any other method of fishing?

Yes, I know I made some lures I called a fly, but I was wrong. I have since scaled them down in size and mounted them on a thin wire hook so they are very light in weight and wind resistance.