Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlatsRoamer

How To Tie the Crazy Charlie YouTube Video

There he goes again. Not going to learn much when the only people responding are coddling and saying nice video.

These threads baffle me. OP asks for opinions and improvements. One guy makes a comment on how to make it better and OP flips out.

One thing I learned a long time ago is that if I want positive feedback on a fly, I show it to my mom. She has never suggested that I make the body of my fly more durable.

Here is some real, non-personal feedback on the video.

1- Film it at a different angle so the person watching can see more of the fly, and less of the hands.

2- When you tie in the braid, tie it in right behind the eyes and tie it back to the bend of the hook. This will give you more of a smooth body when you decide to wrap it forward.

3- Use fewer thread wraps on the fly. You could probably get away with half the thread wraps that you did on this pattern. For most things, two good turns will tie a material down.

4- Become more efficient with the whip finish. It seemed like only every 5th turn of your whip finish would even stay on the hook. The second whip finish completely slipped off the eye of the hook before you pulled it "tight." I'd suggest a tool to whip finish.

This being said, the fly will catch fish. The only reason you should ask for feedback on this forum is to try to get better at tying the actual fly...

One thing I learned a long time ago is that if I want positive feedback on a fly, I show it to my mom.

You're lucky....mine would say "Is that supposed to be some kind of bug?"

Thanks mom.

J

"One thing I learned a long time ago is that if I want positive feedback on a fly, I show it to my mom. She has never suggested that I make the body of my fly more durable."

Lol Funny Cheech and true. My mom always liked my flies.

Yeah ... I tried to stick up for the kid, give him an out ... but then he goes and reminds me why I just don't like kids.

I am SOOOO Glad I never had one !!!

I'm with Poopdeck, i'm also still learning & always will be! And i also agree with cheech, these threads baffle me too!

Human emotion is baffling. But thinking back to when I was 14, what I was was a testosterone train wreck. I'm thinking that all in all Flats does pretty good here in the forums by comparison.