Fly Tying
Lucian.Vasies

Jig nymphs - sharing your patterns please

Hi guys,

When I fish with nymphs I like to use jig nymphs in rivers with big rocks and lots of snags.

These are what I use on big and medium rivers.

troutline-tactical-PT-Orange-Spot-BL-Jig

troutline-tactical-PT-UV-Blue-Spot-BL-Ji

Troutline-Tactical-PT-UV-Orange-Spot-BL-

Troutline-Tactical-PT-UV-Pearl-Spot-BL-J

troutline-PT-octopus.jpg

What about yours?

thanks Lucian

Those look great, Lucian. For some reason, maybe my age of 62 years, I don't have confidence in them. I've fished them, but not with great results. I guess it's all in my head. I like their looks and the quickness with which they get to the bottom. Do you fish mainly PTs with different color collars?

Nice ties Lucian.Great job photographing them also.

I have never tied nymphs on jig hooks.I like the idea.Are those beads slotted on the back side to make the turn against the eye?

ive tied a few but never fished them. probably never will

whats the advantage of them over regular nymph flies? what makes them so great?

ive tied a few but never fished them. probably never will

whats the advantage of them over regular nymph flies? what makes them so great?

They are largely a competition/Euro nymphing pattern. They get to the bottom fast, which is what you want for an anchor fly in these rigs, and ride hook-point up so you use less flies when you're bouncing through all those rocks and debris trying to get in front of a fish.

I do use jig hooks for some patterns that are meant to swim along the bottom. For most nymphs, though, I would think that that would be the wrong action. Of course, in fast turbulent water, that probably wouldn't make much difference.

What I usually tie is a marabou tail and chenille body on a size 10 or 12 jig hook. It makes a great small minnow imitation.

Thanks guys for opinions and feedback.

I use these flies because they snag less between rocks and drift woods on the bottom (they swim mostly with the point up ).In the past I used in our local competitions almost 10 years ago with high success. In my opinion the presentation is better compared with classic nymphs. At jig nymph the body swim more parallel with river bank, Also when the fly sinks the nymph is orientated with the head down and not hang with tail down and bead up like the classic types. It looks like a nymph that swim to hide on the bottom of the river.

Another good aspect - you can play more easy and more effective, exactly like in the case you play soft lure for catching bass under big leaves or logs.

I prefer to use them in fast and rocky rivers and on the hooks tied between #18 and #12.

For example these 2 bellow are my most used nymphs in Summer and Autumn, practically are my "classic searching" patterns :)

*the classic version:

PT-orange-neck-nymph.jpg

*the jig version:

troutline-tactical-PT-Orange-Spot-BL-Jig

Lucian,

Did you use pearl quill rib for the collar on some of the jigs? I use it very often, but always as a ribbing on the abdomen like on your soft hackle jig. I will have to try it as the collar.

Lucian,

I tie these for steelhead on a size 8 Allen 100 jig hooks. Don't lose nearly as many flies using the jig hooks as with standard hooks. I also feel that I land more fish, as they seem to be harder for jumping fish to dislodge.

post-4124-0-68322700-1474834534_thumb.jpg

post-30361-0-12301700-1474837933_thumb.jpgpost-30361-0-07116300-1474838001_thumb.jpgLucian,

Yes I use them as an anchor fly when I am Czech nymphing instead of a Vladi worm. I find I actually will catch more on these than on the pink worms. The Copper johns in the box are also ties on a jig hook gets down really fast in deeper / faster water.

Steve

Have found them useful in still-water situations more so than moving water myself, although I've been planning on fishing them more in rivers and streams one of these days. No reason why you cannot just use existing tried and true patterns on jigs just to show them something different. These work quite well under a bobber in lakes as the dropper using a no-slip loop knot. I'm pretty sure one can guess the pattern. One on the left is a bit chewed up but continued to fish, which just goes to show you that we may well overthink our patterns at times.

jig.jpg

I got carried away a week or so ago and had nothing special to do so just started using stuff within reach to tie up a bunch of jig hooks I've had sitting around for quite awhile. The black and copper heads are tungsten, the colored heads brass. The sizes run for #8 down to #18 and there are only a few tied to a pattern in particular. I do wish I'd done some more like whatfly's jig though. Great use for the bigger ones for crappie and also getting down quick for trout and also trailing more common nymphs behind them.

DSC01604_zpsj5wcfjan.jpg

DSC01605_zps0mekb7rk.jpg
DSC01606_zpsbiqmov3z.jpg
DSC01607_zpsz1pcedgy.jpg
DSC01608_zpsg6ckhhqb.jpg