Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Need a Camera

I have a Sony CamCorder that shoots video obviously, or stills, and if you are not careful with the zoom toggle you will hear clicking noises in the video, if you are careful you don't hear it. It's also not present in any form using an external Mic. The sound is an audible click because the user let the toggle snap back to center. Basically user error that is picked up by the internal Mic. But audible focus motor noise in the video would be unacceptable to me. Oly makes really good solid camera gear generally, I'm really surprised they flubbed this up as seems to be the indication..

the guy in the video did say it was audio noise and not gears or whatever moving

you can hear the audio noise when he switched from recording with his dslr to the olympus. turn up your volume

totally agree with utyer

You appear unwilling to do your own research, and now are asking us to tell you what exact camera to buy. Nobody can tell you which of dozens of options will best suit you.

Get out there and do some work on finding a camera yourself instead of asking others to provide you with a ready made answer.

Noise I did hear, and the sounds from handling of the setup as well, but that is not weird.

I was expecting noises from moving parts or clicking from tripods and such.

To me that is not a disqualifier if you are going to edit your videos, which goes back to the point made before: who cares what I alone think?

Go to different photo/video sites and take advantage of camera crowd wisdom. Find a hidden gem at a great price, the Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails of cameras. Or at least see what cameras keep coming up when people keep asking about best cameras under a price point.

so. what moving parts are in a digital camera when its recording to a sd card?

film.gif

tripods dont make noise. at least the one my camera is attached to

why didnt the guys dslr make noise?

As said before, the auto focus can be noisy in some cameras. Enough than the built in mic will pick it up when you shoot video. My DSLR included, even when the sound quality is actually pretty good.

The solution to that is using an external mic for even better sound quality, and no internal noise pick up. But not all cameras have a port for external mics.

Don't know what his DSLR setup was. Can't tell you exactly why his did not have background noise. I am going to guess that his DSLR is a lot more expensive than the camera reviewed for a reason.

Some tripods can make clicking noises when one tries to pan but the head assembly is just a bit too tight, for example.

Hey Flats, Like may other have said there are thousands of camera's that meet your given criteria. So clarification on your part may go a long way.

For example, is the purpose of this camera mostly for photographing flies and making tying tutorials with a bit of fishing mixed in, or is its main purpose documenting your fishing trips, with a little fly photography mixed in. Hopefully you know that camera that takes good macro photos of flies is most likely not going to be the most functional and effective camcorder to document your fishing trips, especially with a budget of 300 dollars.

Which brings me to my next point, if you aren't satisfied with a 200 dollar camera chances are 80-100 bucks isn't going to make that big of difference.

With a good attitude and your choices narrowed down you are more likely to receive the advice you seek from guys on this forum.

Brody

Dave G. mentioned a Sony camcorder they are used by many fisherman on Youtube specifically the Sony actioncam 2. Look up Ken Tanaka, or Wish for Fish on Youtube for some samples.

It has great video quality, but then again I don't know if you are wanting to photograph flies specifically or looking for an action cam.

Hey flats I was in best buy yesterday the price on the Go Pro silvers with the lcd screen dropped recently the non action pack one is 250.

No, gopro 4 and im not really sure i want it. Im looking for something that can take better pictures and a real camera, if you understand. And lol i havent had any orders, but order season is coming and ill be ready!!

I've been wanting something to shoot video and take pictures with that I won't have to worry about ruining as well those go pro 4s seem just about perfect and 12mp should be good for just about anything you done plan to blow up really big.