Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Fly tying buyer's remorse

Scary, actually, if you start counting accross hobbies...

PLEASE don't go there...i might cry for a year.

Fortunately, just small stuff here, examples of which include:

Ottlite folding task lite. Much positive talk about this over the years, so I picked up the rechargeable version. It's just a bit lacking in height, and setting it upon a "booster" clutters the desk. Light output isn't exactly impressive if your eyes aren't what they used to be. Biggest disappointment is it failed to hold a charge after a short time using it, even though I mostly used it in AC mode.

Hareline Scud Back. Looked interesting, bought a bunch in both sizes and multiple colors. Went to use some after many years and found it had degraded beyond use.

BRF Zelon Dubbing. Disappointing. Some colors were chopped way too short. Must be conserving that remaining supply of zelon, since my dubbing contained very little, so little that it's not unexpected to have no zelon in the finished fly. I blend my own now.

SLF Kaufmann Blends. Completely different texture than original blends. Much too soft for intended stone nymphs. At $3 each small pack, I'll find a use.

TMC 400T swimming nymph hooks. After probably 20 yrs, I still can't find a use for them.

Those wire bobbin holder threaders. Easily bent beyond use. Including the Matarelli.

I DO regret not buying more Thompson ICE scissors and Matarelli bobbins.

Bugsy,

"TMC 400T swimming nymph hooks. After probably 20 yrs, I still can't find a use for them..."

---We can trade for some polyolefin yarn, subs for many Zelon apps.. I have about a mile and a half, about 20 colors. What size are these hooks? Size 8-16 will work for the Clouser Swimming Nymph, (and Halfbacks,) tied in rusty brown, fab stillwater choice for damsels, when the trout are off the peacock or olive versions.

"I DO regret not buying more Thompson ICE scissors and Matarelli bobbins."

--- Me too!

Bugsy,

"TMC 400T swimming nymph hooks. After probably 20 yrs, I still can't find a use for them..."

---We can trade for some polyolefin yarn, subs for many Zelon apps.. I have about a mile and a half, about 20 colors. What size are these hooks? Size 8-16 will work for the Clouser Swimming Nymph, (and Halfbacks,) tied in rusty brown, fab stillwater choice for damsels, when the trout are off the peacock or olive versions.

--- Me too!

What is the difference between Thompson and Anvil on the Ice scissors? The main reason i ask is that is what was in my Wasatch Presentation set instead of the Wasatch scissors...I ended up buying 3 pairs of Wasatch scissors before i found the pair that matched.

These Anvil Ice have become one of my favorite for fine details. I have wondered about buying more??? Were Thompson better and/or different enough that i should search for those instead?

My biggest regret to date is the Sili skin that I bought years ago to make Gummi Minnows when they were all the rage. I never used a lot of it, but got a bunch in different colors. While looking for something else, I noticed some of the packs were faded. Faded is an understatement. The color they used to be absorbed into the white undersheet making them complete garbage. At $5.95 a pack back then, I feel ripped off. My tying area is always cool, dry, and away from sunlight, so I know it's the material, not a storage issue.

Regards,

Mark

Agree on Sili Skin, which never seemed to form & stretch out as was needed as others shown in photos. Tying with it was always more like plastic wrap which just crumbled itself up crinkled for good money. Fading did get some of the shiny buyers sparkle back down to fishable.

Bugsy,

--- Me too!

What is the difference between Thompson and Anvil on the Ice scissors? The main reason i ask is that is what was in my Wasatch Presentation set instead of the Wasatch scissors...I ended up buying 3 pairs of Wasatch scissors before i found the pair that matched.

These Anvil Ice have become one of my favorite for fine details. I have wondered about buying more??? Were Thompson better and/or different enough that i should search for those instead?

I cannot help you much because I have not used the Anvil model, just used the Thompson, pricing was fair, should have bought two.