Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Fly tying buyer's remorse

For those of you living near Gardena, CA. If you don't have enough stuff, yet, 24K Estate Sales is having a sale with fly fishing items listed.

Its not really a regret. But my vise. I cant seem spending hundreds on a hook holder. I bought a nice rotary, And totally happy with it. I have to stop looking at them I guess. I keep looking and thinking...I could have that one for $50 more.

Bass master, does your daydream go like this: I should have bought that Law, when they sold for $600, but those Snobee's might work, wait that Stonfo is really cool. Naw, back to work on the Regal knock off...

Um, 30 pairs of dyed red duck quills. sad.png

I bought them when I was tying commercially, from a wholesale supplier who had a special sale, with the thought that what I didn't use I would sell. I tied a dozen flies with them for a fellow who had provided a sample of an "old style" bass fly & did eventually sell most of the rest of them.

I don't think I recovered the cost however. unsure.png

Not really a regret at all, but somewhat wasted money I guess. Wing burners, bought a full set many years ago and think I used them once. Also a decent supply of materials for tying those pretty salmon flies with married wings etc etc....found out I didn't care for the "art tying" so just stick to flies for catching fish now and have a bag full of salmon fly materials somewhere around here that has never really been used muchwacko.png

no regret here either but materials i bought to tie some flies but ended up never tying them or even remembering what they were

Guest rich mc

just last week i got dinged by walmart. i previously purchased a micro fiber bath rub for the fibers which are better than the washing mitt [mop flies] material they had 5 more colors on line i ordered them . when they came in 3 were just like the first in great colors the other two had two different nubs, short nubs and other were twice as fat and cant use. my grandson now has a new rug for his dog rich mc

Not really a regret at all, but somewhat wasted money I guess. Wing burners, bought a full set many years ago and think I used them once. Also a decent supply of materials for tying those pretty salmon flies with married wings etc etc....found out I didn't care for the "art tying" so just stick to flies for catching fish now and have a bag full of salmon fly materials somewhere around here that has never really been used muchwacko.png

can we talk about that stash??? I am still trying... but mostly failing. i need a some cheep materials to play with. I can not promise you that most might end up in my zippo pile though.

Join the wingburner crowd and add the Glue melting kit. Not dissing the Glue melting kit but just never had the desire to even try it.

Would also add in materials that I've never gotten decent peacock quills ordering them in bulk packaging. Order the full feather from a good company and the feathers are twice as full with the green barbules. Or decent bulk partridge feathers. Buy the bird and you're good for years.

I have 40 packs of sheeps wool for making bob pop's silicone lure flies. Made about a dozen. Realized they are more work than they are worth. I also have about 30 packs of rug weaving yarn for making crab flies. May never use them.

I guess I was supposed to feel better about it by seeing that I am not the only one to buy one thing that I do not need.

Instead this thread is reminding me of the MANY things I did not need and I bought over the years.

THANKS GUYS!... :D

I guess I was supposed to feel better about it by seeing that I am not the only one to buy one thing that I do not need.

Instead this thread is reminding me of the MANY things I did not need and I bought over the years.

THANKS GUYS!... :D

Bimini, ain't that the truth?