Fly Tying
flytire

weirdest catch

Haha. No. I've never met him, and I don't like posting people's pic on the internet that I don't know.

I thought this was about what caught, not what you've seen???

If that is the case i might have the best dozen or so.

The scariest was getting hunted by a mountain lion.

I was fishing the middle beaver pond of Ophir Creek. I noticed the cat wandering the edge of the brush. Was completely surprised when she walked across the damn to get to my side. I reeled in my line and set it. So i figured wade to the other side...She followed. She got close enough that i actually swat her a couple of times with my rod...That just seemed to make her more interested. Now what do i do???

I waded back and forth across that pond several times. I was too slow going through the water to gain a gap. She had me pinned down cold.

Mountain lions do swim. I have seen it, but they don't like it. I never knew when she might just jump in and nail me.

So, i took the few fish i had caught and threw them as far as i could toward the south bank. She went for the fish and i dashed toward the car.

The DOW got mad at me when i asked for a license to hunt her back. They didn't allow bow hunting of cats back then and taking a female is still a big no-no. I don't think she actually killed any-one, but was on the edge that day.

Nothing too weird. Two young seagulls with the fly rod, a pesky cottonmouth down in NW Tennessee that had to be discouraged with a whack of my fishing rod to discourage it from chasing my Jitterbug. Weirdest fish I ever hauled in was a snake mackerel which hooked itself on the lines the crew trolled behind the tug boat as it towed a barge south. My uncle was the captain. Also was allowed to pull in a barracuda and a wahoo almost as big as I was. Neat trip for a 13 year old kid.

post-309-0-92622100-1479516475_thumb.jpg

Bimini, A long time ago one of my buddies did the exact same thing hooked a dead fish in the mouth. We were spin fishing in a pond full of stockies and I could not catch a thing he was reeling em in left and right. We were using the same panther martin spinner too. When he caught that dead fish I decided id had enough of being shown up and called it a day. LOL

A blue heron. I was casting a crankbait next to the shoreline on Guist Creek lake. Didn't see the damn bird tucked in under some willows. It flew under the line and the Bill Norman crankbait wrapped and then stuck. Bird flew like a kite. It was a disaster. Girlfriend in the back of the boat was screaming. I managed to free the bird. I hate herons.