Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rake

Lighting Question

I've finally settled enough to buy a decent piece of furniture that qualifies as a fly tying desk... which simply means that my SO has allowed me to place a desk in a place that others might stumble across it.

In my earlier years, I often tied near a window using natural light. My backup lighting was an Ott Lite, a recommendation from my mother, an avid sewer (the stitching kind... 8^} ). Since purchasing a desk which sits no where near a window, and not having the light that I'd need, I'd like some recommendations from others facing similar situations.

As I've said, I've used Ott Lites in the past. I currently have two desk models which aren't tall enough to provide light without shadows. I have a third desk model (again, Ott Lite ) currently in use over my computer area which has the height I need, but requires more of a "lip" to mount on my tying desk. The desk I purchased was a nice piece of furniture, but doesn't have the edge needed to secure a clamp style mount. I don't mind drilling some holes to secure a mounting "slab", but I want to make sure I purchase the best light for tying.

After a bit of research, I've come across the Blue Max light. I don't have room on the desk for the 70W desk lamp, but, by bolting a piece to my desktop, I could attach a 43W workstation light.

I don't have any experience with Verilux and was wondering what others might be able to add...

Thanks in advance,

Rake... (aka Mike)

The blue max lights look pretty nice to me.I had not seen them until i seen this post.The work station light with the double swivel would make a nice tying light.They also have a couple nice floor lamps that would work in the right place.

5900K and 96 CRI is right next to natural sunlight.Way better than any light i am currently using and excellent light for photographing flies if this is something you intend to do.Heck i think i may buy one of these.

You may consider making a stand to go beside the desk to mount a workstation light to if you don't want to drill holes in it.

Congrats on getting the new desk.

In 36 years of tying I've had my share of lamps and ligthing. Ott lights are good for travelling. For permanent task lighting this lamp I purchased earlier this year from Amazon is by far the best I have seen and used. I have a 100 watt equivalent LED bulb in it that runs cool (no heat to make you sweat on those hot summer days). Wish I had found it 20 years ago.

post-54877-0-45086100-1479779069_thumb.jpg

I've got one of these. Inexpensive, provides plenty of light and doesn't produce noticable heat.

I have never used the magnifier for tying, but it's been very handy when I've gotten a splinter.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200514197_200514197?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Lighting%20%3E%20Mountable%20Work%20Lights&utm_campaign=Northern%20Tool%20and%20Equipment&utm_content=23418&gclid=CIW7nrahu9ACFZQkgQod4voJ0A

I've got one of these. Inexpensive, provides plenty of light and doesn't produce noticable heat.

I have never used the magnifier for tying, but it's been very handy when I've gotten a splinter.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200514197_200514197?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Lighting%20%3E%20Mountable%20Work%20Lights&utm_campaign=Northern%20Tool%20and%20Equipment&utm_content=23418&gclid=CIW7nrahu9ACFZQkgQod4voJ0A

Mike I have one of these as well but do use the magnifier. I mounted mine on a piece of 2x4 with a slot cut in it that slides onto the edge of the desk. Adjustable and no holes drilled in the desk.

I bought one of these on an Amazon Lighting Pre Black Friday Deal for under $30. It has 5 different hues from 3000k to 6000k = Soft White (3000K), Bright White/Cool White (3500K – 4000K 4500K), and Daylight (5000K – 6000K). Each has 5 intensity levels = 25 different light levels.

I use it for my portable tying kit. It replaced the folding Ott Lite.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H4ZBRWS/

31nT2GUgnLL.jpg

It is similar in form to the lamp in the video below buy it has 5 hues and not 3 and the LEDs are illuminated across the entire underside of the lamp bar and not just part of the way.

This might help...

http://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-lamps

I had one lamp I bought from Walmart a while back and the thing melted... the cone on the lamp was made of plastic, and a week after buying it the thing just melted and fell apart. So be careful with what you buy.

Here are a couple unstaged photos of the light I'm lovin. The last picture shows how it is fastened to the small base. There are magnetic and clamp options as well. Having a small footprint leaves more desktop for other clutter.

post-54877-0-30998400-1479824982_thumb.jpg

post-54877-0-99216000-1479824986_thumb.jpg

post-54877-0-00832500-1479824991_thumb.jpg

Johnny,

Your light looks like the Giraffe lamp from Goodwin Mfg which has been around longer than 20 yrs.

In 36 years of tying I've had my share of lamps and ligthing. Ott lights are good for travelling. For permanent task lighting this lamp I purchased earlier this year from Amazon is by far the best I have seen and used. I have a 100 watt equivalent LED bulb in it that runs cool (no heat to make you sweat on those hot summer days). Wish I had found it 20 years ago.

attachicon.gifmoffatt.JPG

That looks like a great lamp. When I looked it up on Amazon, the description says that it's a 100 watt halogen, very bright, but quite hot. Do you have a different model from the image in your post?

Here's the Amazon description for the Moffatt 95041:

Moffatt 95041 Task Lamp, Incandescent/Halogen Lamp Type, Quick Coupler Base Type, 24" Arm Length, 100 Watts, 1690 Raw Lumens

That looks like a great lamp. When I looked it up on Amazon, the description says that it's a 100 watt halogen, very bright, but quite hot. Do you have a different model from the image in your post?

Here's the Amazon description for the Moffatt 95041:

Moffatt 95041 Task Lamp, Incandescent/Halogen Lamp Type, Quick Coupler Base Type, 24" Arm Length, 100 Watts, 1690 Raw Lumens

Bruce

I double checked my buying history just to be sure and I see it is now ~ $7.00 less than I paid. In any case it does not come with a bulb. They were giving out LEDs at work last year and that is the bulb I chose. It replaced an old LLBean gooseneck tier's lamp plus 2 Ott lights on my desk/bench. Below is from the Amazon desctiption. There is a heat sink if you want to go with a hot bulb.

This task lamp uses a 100 watt incandescent or halogen bulb (not included) and is suitable for use in machinery, automotive, or workshop applications.

a photo of your tying area would probably help

i use 2 of these full spectrum lights. i got them at home depot. no drilling required

you can find them on amazon also. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LG6YVLQ?m=A13FOIDSAEGQ88&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page

flytire,

I saw your post around 6 am and was at the orange box across the street 54 minutes later. Unfortunately, the local store doesn't stock them. My desk is roughly the size of the area in your photo; it's a 5 x 2 desk with a hutch for storing materials. I looked into mounting an overhead on the hutch, but couldn't find anything I particularly liked.

I bought one of these on an Amazon Lighting Pre Black Friday Deal for under $30. It has 5 different hues from 3000k to 6000k = Soft White (3000K), Bright White/Cool White (3500K – 4000K 4500K), and Daylight (5000K – 6000K). Each has 5 intensity levels = 25 different light levels.

SC, I liked this one, too.

I wound up ordering one of each off of Amazon. Whichever fits my area best will stay with the desk. The other will be used as a reading light... Since using daylight lamps, I've found them much less straining than incandescent and fluorescent.

To all who've replied... many thanks! Every suggestion was researched (I didn't get much work done this morning), and all appear to offer exceptional lighting solutions. I should've started posting years ago rather than simply lurking.

Mike

Absolutely no point any more in buying some sort of specialty craft lamp like the Ottlite. A cheap architect's lamp and an LED 100W 5000k bulb is by far and away the most efficient and cost-effective solution. Get two if you need more light. Most of the craft lights seem to be seriously lagging in technology. With LED bulbs, you can convert any conventional lamp into a 'daylight' lamp, so not sure why anyone would bother with any other solution, unless you are looking for a travel lamp.