Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
big_fish

eyes on flies

when tying flies do you use eyes ?do you think that they make a differance like on a unweighted streamer (mickey fin or black nose dace) would you put eyes? I'm just curious to see if you all think there needed or do youthink the shape and movement are enough? big_fish dunno.gif

Very good question big_fish. I've read conflicting theories about using eyes on flies. Personally, I do tend to favor sticking some on on as many patterns as possible in the event they increase my chances of a hook up. Also, I doubt it can hurt.

Attractors and large baitfish patterns I believe benefit more from the application of eyes. It's just one more factor which can trigger a strike, and in the event of large baitfish their eyes are often predominant so tying them in may make the pattern more relistic.

You certantly don't need eyes on Mickey Finns to catch fish. Maybe try some with and some without and see if there is a noticable difference.

There is always the question if eyes attract fish or fishermen. The choice is ultimately yours.

Cheers,

Nick

I use eyes of some type on just about every streamer patttern i normally tie. It just seems to make sense. Some fish, such as redfish, have false eye spots on their tail section tohelp fool predators into attacking the wrong end, increasing the fish's chances of getting away. that would seem to indicate that predators key in on eyes. So I put them on my streamer patterns.

Mark Delaney

I try to put eyes on every thing I tie because I believe that in the natural they have eyes so why go after something with out eyes it just seems logical to make it as realistic as possible and after all tying is as much fun as fishing itself for me

For the type of flies you describe I would probably use jungle cock eyes. I think it does make a difference.

Ken cool.gif

Use them on any bait fish pattern I tie. There are several sites that have pictures minnows and other bait fish and the eyes on most are one of the most visible features. I think it might be more important on salt water patterns. I had a good example a couple of years ago where I was fishing a minnow pattern and picking up snapper blues with it. I was getting hits on just about every cast, then the hits stopped. I brought the fly in and found that both eyes had been knocked off the fly. Tied on a similar fly with eyes, and the hits started coming again.

sttripers, blues, weaks, and most all saltwater game fish key in on the eye when attacking bait...In fresh water bass and other game fish including trout when they get large enough to eat meat ohmy.gif will hit bait head first. they use the eye as a referance. all fish must swallow baitfish head first cause of the fins. I put eyes on all my salt patterns and streamers.....I like to use e-z shape sparkle body for my fresh water flies. its as easy as putting a drop for the background and add a contrasting color for the pupil. I'm starting to use it for my salt patterns because i get tired of the eyes getting knock off from the sand.... biggrin.gif I still use all the other types of eyes yet. eyes make a differance... bugeyes.gif

I tie eyes on most of my streamer patterns as I think that fish key in on them. Most of the time I paint the eyes on two of my favorites, the bullet head muddler and the Thunder Creek.

Bob

Hi big fish,

After working with Gary LaFontaine on a project over the span of several years he convinced me of the importance of eyes on sub-surface patterns - especially streamers. He based his belief from results of his observations while diving. I don't dive so I took him at his word. I catch a heck of a lot of fish on streamers with eyes but when you do not have any streamers in your fly box without eyes I guess you could say my anecdotal evidence is somewhat slanted. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com