Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
notenuftoys

SLF Prism vs. Ice Dub

I like adding a little ice dub to nymphs, but sometimes the individual strands are just a little long for small nymphs. So I'm curious about an alternative. Would SLF Prism dub be similar, but with shorter strands? Or would you recommend antron dubbing?

By the way, the flies I'm specifically thinking of are small Frenchies, like size 18

Antron is good, but it's not ice dub. I'd suggest simply trimming the ice dub after tying if some of the strands are a but long. Although a strand or three of ice dub sticking out from a nymph is not the sort of thing that would turn off a fish.

Thanks for the replies. I typically do trim down the ice dub, but it's the individual strands themselves that are just a tad to large in my opinion. But of course, I could just be too picky about this sort of thing.

Try Senyos Fusion or Laser Dub, I use the Laser a bunch for minnow heads...

Laser dub is like a wool with flash blended in. Nothing like ice dub. It does make nice minnow heads though.

Try Senyos Fusion or Laser Dub, I use the Laser a bunch for minnow heads...

Laser dub is like a wool with flash blended in. Nothing like ice dub. It does make nice minnow heads though.

I love Laser Dub. I use it on my minnow and bluegill patterns all the time.

I use prism dubbing. I have never used icedub, but I think the prism dubbing fibers are pretty long, doubt they would be any better

I actually do find SLF prism to be nearly identical to ice dub but with shorter fibers. Don't know if it will be what your looking for but they are very similar

I actually do find SLF prism to be nearly identical to ice dub but with shorter fibers. Don't know if it will be what your looking for but they are very similar

Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear. I'll put in an order for some.

If you dub it tight enough and use small amounts to dub with, I have had no issues with Ice Dub on smaller nymphs. It sounds like you could be either using a little too much or not getting it dubbed tight enough. I have found with Ice Dub, if I grasp just under the dubbing noodle with my index finger and thumb, and spin the noodle tightly while I wrap, it goes on really tight.

If you dub it tight enough and use small amounts to dub with, I have had no issues with Ice Dub on smaller nymphs. It sounds like you could be either using a little too much or not getting it dubbed tight enough. I have found with Ice Dub, if I grasp just under the dubbing noodle with my index finger and thumb, and spin the noodle tightly while I wrap, it goes on really tight.

That's a great tip!

I also use Ice Dub on small flies. Down to 18's and 20's. I need to squeeze really hard when rolling the noodle and re-tighten each wrap. Ice Dub is so springy that it pops back out as soon as I let go.

Cream and Bruce have it. Make that noodle real tight and you'll find yourself having to pick some out with the bodkin as it can become really packed.