Fly Tying
cllvt

Rotating vise - do you use "rotation"?

I am looking at purchasing a new vise. I tie pretty much just trout flies. Once in a while a bass or saltwater fly. Always have tied on a "Thompson clone". It's actually worked pretty well. I have been looking at getting a vise with rotating features though, as when tying jungle cock eyes on streamers it would be nice to see the other side easily; and when tying Thunder Creek style streamers it would be nice not to have to pull the hook out and flip it over to tie in the bottom bucktail, etc.

Based on this, I was looking at Regal, Griffen Patriot Cam, etc. Then I am thinking that maybe I should get a true rotational vise such as the Griffen Odyssey Cam, or a Renzetti Traveler, etc. It does seem that the true rotational feature could save some time winding back thread, etc. What I don't know is ... in real practice (for a non-commercial fly tyer) do people use this feature. So, questions for you True Rotation users ...

1) Do you often use the rotation feature to wind on thread and materials?

2) Does the bend in the jaw arm (which allows the offset for true rotation) ever get in the way?

3) Given that the true rotational vise is a bit more complicated, awkward, and expensive would you do it again, or opt for a simpler model?

Thanks a lot for any info!!!! dunno.gif

Chris

I tie on a danvise which is a true rotary. I use it to wind on material in just about every fly I tie. The flies are sturdier because you can maintain a steady even tension on the material being wound. You lose this on stationary vises as you pass the material from one hand to the other. It makes tying the "other" side of streamers and tying in throats pretty easy as well. With flies smaller than 18, access can be a little tight, but with practcie that limitation is overcome. My flies are so much nicer on the rotary vise I can't imagine that I'll ever purchase another stationary. I just can't see where a stationary offers any real advantages. Also, the need to wind back thread is eliminated if you toss in a half hitch before starting rotation and then place the bobbin in a cradle so that the thread is in-line with the hook shaft.

Antique Thompson (and some older Sunrises) here... I guess I don't know what I'm missing wink.gif

I'm thinking HARD about one of the Renzetti knockoffs available at H&H for < $40 though....

Cheers!

Gary

I have the Barracuda and wouldn't look back. Love the rotary, and use it alot. But I do alot of dubbed and palmered bodies. So really helps in my tying. Not sure about the off center for rotary tying. Mine spins right on the axis when adjusted.

I wouldn't go back. I've tried tying on a stationary set of jaws, and just can't do it. But I think you adjust your style of tying to vise you have. I use my rotary. So suites me quite well. For others, they don't need it. I'd pay the price over again for the vise.

I tie on a Renzetti Traveller and always use the rotary function. I found switching to rotary my flies turned out much better.

I bought a renzetti knock off on ebay for 40 bucks and love it. I do use the rotating feture in many flies. It is the only way I know that you can do a epoxy ant and keep the epxoy even. I highly recommend buying a rotary one.

Exactly what is "true rotary"? It's a meaningless term that describes absolutely nothing.

You have three basic kinds of tying vise other than your hands. Fixed head (non rotary), rotary and in line rotary. The fixed head needs no description here. The rotary would be a vise that rotates the fly/hook but the rotation is not centered with the hook shank. The third, the in line rotary has the vise jaws and the hook shank in the same center of rotation.

If all one wants to do is look at the far side of the fly, a pedestal fixed head or rotary vise will do. Simply turn the fixed head to see it or rotate the rotary. Save your money from buying an in line rotary for hackles or something.

If one wants to improve his/her tying output and quality and is dedicated to learning to use the in line rotary feature to apply such things as ribbing, hackling, dubbing, flossing and so on, pay the extra cash and buy an in line rotary vise.

I use the Nor Vise and wouldn't give it up for a variety of reasons. There are any number of in line rotary vises for less than $100 to over $700. Nor Vise now has a fixed head vise for less than $100 that can actually be converted to an in line rotary down the line.

I have heard that the dan vise is also a very good in line vise at less than $100.

The bottom line is do not buy an in line rotary vise unless you intend to use the features for more than just looking at the far side of the fly.

Happy Trails!

Ronn

I use the true rotary feature to tie streamers, etc. No, I don't find that the rotary feature gets in the way. If I was to buy another vise, I would buy either a Renzetti traveler (what I have) or a Nor-Vise (more suited to tying more flies faster). The Renzetti is less expensive. I would not buy a Nor-Vise as my vise for deer-hair etc. In an ideal world, I would use both of the vises.