Fly Tying
caloosa bug

(No fly zone) Non fly caught fish pictures

My personal best muskie....Lake of the Woods 2006. While I caught it on a large spinner bait, I tied up an orange streamer to use as a trailer....muskies love em ......well, they love them occasionally.

P9030148 copy.jpg

My little girl was all about wanting to go fishing this past weekend. So we did some bank fishing under a shade tree with crickets Saturday. My middle son was more interested in what he could catch in the long handled shrimp net. We found a handful of handful sized gills and she wanted to come back with the boat. So Sunday we went back for a couple hours and caught several more good ones, along with all the hard pulling cichlids she could handle. We had a blast.

4D97AC25-CFB4-41C6-AB89-0E757BAFABCF.jpeg

994CCBBA-4561-4C49-9DE8-EB4564A7292A.jpeg

Finally had some calm winds and was able to get out on the Big O. I've been itching to go find some specks. Weather was beautiful and the company of my son and dad was even better. My son was kicking our but to start with. We brought home 23 that were over the 10in. minimum. Caught them on both jigs and minnows. It was a great half day.

B7EFCEBE-E2DB-4AB3-84A3-F7733E6C5104.jpeg

D4A32884-9DC6-4FFB-804F-AC5D1CBE86DD.jpeg

3FA84BBD-356C-4A01-A28C-02466137BE7E.jpeg

Baby goliath grouper, around 25lbs - lots and lots of these around now in the rivers that drain out of the Everglades into the salt.  They'll attack and eat anything they can get.... I have to make sure my anglers are holding onto their rods since the drags are set at "exterminate"... 

pNNVx9r.jpg

We consider them to be "babies" until they hit around fifty pounds - a ten pounder will take you to school - the bigger babies are pretty hard to land since they love to hang out around downed trees and river corners with strong currents... 

Nice fatties there. I’ll be heading to Florida in another month. Gulf coast, can I catch red fish then? 

30 minutes ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Absolutely,,, if the area you’re in

wasn’t torn up by the hurricane…

Venice

Believe Venice was north of the hurricane strike zone… but this most recent cold (a killing cold for snook and other temperature sensitive fish like tarpon ) will have some effect but reds aren’t very temperature sensitive at all…

If it were me I’d get on the phone with local shops (Mr CB’s and others ) and talk to them. I’m nearly 300 miles to the south…

On 12/31/2022 at 6:18 PM, Poopdeck said:

Venice

You'll be a 1 hour 40 minute drive from me. I know nothing of the salt fishing near you. But shoot me a message if you want a guided freshwater trip on lake o while you're down.. 

Our local town festival kicks off with the only fishing tournament that I fish in. The rules are simple...weigh in the one biggest bass you catch per person. Entry fee is $25 per person. Live bait (shiners) is allowed.Usually a 4 or 5 pounder will get you a top 10.

For the first time my dad fished the tournament with me. We had a great day of catching and culling nice bass around 3lbs. all on artificial. Ended up in 2nd and 3rd place We couldn't believe it. They haven't given trophies for as long as I remember...it's pretty awesome we got trophies to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the tournament.A memory with dad I'll always cherish..

6425B3FA-0BE9-43A6-BE04-A28BBB16F515.jpeg

07A5E5CB-F624-46BC-B316-1BBCE6A04784.jpeg

80B3D132-F0B3-4BC7-8F6E-2622240C79EF.jpeg