Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
David 82nd

Hook storage

I bought one of these off of eBay for $18 and I love it. Before this, I had a large multi-compartment box that held all of my hooks, but I didn't like that because if I was going to tie for a demonstration or a tying club meeting or whatever, I either had to remove the hooks that I wanted for that session and put them in smaller containers, or take the whole big container with me. Now, with the carousel and its individual containers, I just pluck out the hooks I want for a given session, use them, and replace the container in the carousel when I'm done.

post-36073-0-15258600-1498855062_thumb.jpg

I buy cheap craft boxes at Michael's, cut magnetic sheet into small rectangles and glue on bottom of each box compartment. Works great and if you accidentally drop a box hooks don't go flying.

I'm not a cheapskate and like to buy the good stuff, you know, those expensive hook box systems, but for me the good stuff doesn't work as well as this cheap DIY alternative. I know, I have the good stuff too! Cheap and effective and portable. Oh, and they stack very nicely.

I have one box dedicated to my travel kit. It has an small assortment of most the hooks I tie with. I got some empty slots there. Time to re-stock.....

hook-boxes.jpg

I've found that the lawyer magnets off of the phone books I never use anymore are easy to cut to size for the compartments of the craft storage bins where I store my hooks. They work in fly boxes to catch errant nymphs too.

A similar flexible magnet material comes in many of the Tiempco hook packages. You can also buy this stuff at craft stores or Stapels.

I purchased one of the upright nail/small parts organizing drawers from a hardware store. It did require me to label things but once it was done I feel more or less organized and I can find pretty much any hook just by looking at the drawers. It sits full time on my desk so not that portable but use a small hook box when I need to transport.

I have been enjoying this forum and learning from it for awhile now and figured that it was about time that I share some info as well. I found these boxes at Joanne's Fabrics, I think that they were around $3.25 a piece and I picked them up on a 30% off sale. The purple button on the end is a spring loaded slide lock, when the button is depressed any one of the compartments can be opened. Each of the compartments has a snap lid so that when the lock button is depressed the individual boxes do not just pop opened. The front bottom corner of each compartment also has a radius to make it easy to get hooks or beads out and the bottom side of the unit has small little legs that allow multiple box units to stack nicely. Hope that this helps, happy tying!

post-58163-0-03364400-1500836133_thumb.jpg

post-58163-0-57571800-1500836173_thumb.jpg

I use either an Orvis Hook tower or a C&F hook pallet, which are basically the same as the Orvis hook pallets for my hooks, currently on sale in the UK @£69.00

4E43L1FC.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

I buy these at the dollar tree. They come in a pkg of 10 for a dollar. The big case I keep them in came from Michael's for a little over 3 bucks.

For hooks that come in the small plastic bags I found a solution on another forum. I use plastic sleeve card protectors sheets that are used to store collectable cards such as baseball, trading card games, etc. They are meant to fit in a three ring binder which is how I use them and it sits on my tying bench. When I need some hooks I can open up the binder and I can easily see all of my hook packages through the clear storage sheets.