Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
atxdiscgolfer

Classic Hairwing Salmonfly Swap

I'm in. Never miss a chance to get a tie from the vise of Flytire.

Since Davie McPhail is one of my favorite tyers I'll try to follow his pattern on video for the Logie.

atx, I can't believe I did that. Maybe gave my spot to another while I had a house full of grandkids and two staying in my tying room. Anyway, I really like the Logie but realized it is a feather fly and you have changed this swap to a fur fly. I'm thinking to tie a couple with the yellow inner wing of deer hair instead of goose wing and see how that looks to keep within the scope of your swap.

I'm in. Never miss a chance to get a tie from the vise of Flytire.

i'll include this one just for you

phHxWpO.jpg

i'm waiting on an order for orange guinea fowl feathers for the throat but in the mean time i tied this one with orange hackle fibers for the throat

RPyre09.jpg

Just got back from Bob Marriott's for materials... Man is that place a fly tier's dream come true... Anyway, the Brora pattern I picked calls for jungle cock eyes on the sides, and it's apparently banned. I picked up some synthetic substitutes, but before I start tying I thought I should check in and see if everyone's fine with that, or maybe someone knows of a better, natural substitute.

Just got back from Bob Marriott's for materials... Man is that place a fly tier's dream come true... Anyway, the Brora pattern I picked calls for jungle cock eyes on the sides, and it's apparently banned. I picked up some synthetic substitutes, but before I start tying I thought I should check in and see if everyone's fine with that, or maybe someone knows of a better, natural substitute.

If you're talking about those ones stamped on a sheet of plastic, I'd prefer to get the fly without them. Unless there's been some miracle breakthru the ones I've tried and seen were atrocious. As far as being banned, they're not. They can be imported with providence and there's all kinds of them on ebay. I have a well picked skin and if I look around I know I've got some bagged ones somewhere in the cave. If you don't want to pop for a skin, and they are expensive, you can buy packs or 10-20. They're not the usually the highest quality but let's face it...if you're using them for museum pieces then consider a $200 skin but for our swaps they'd be more than adequate and a 100 times nicer than artificial. If I find some of the ones I know I have somewhere that I bought that way on ebay some time ago before I got a fair deal on a nice skin I'd spot the eyes to avoid the artificial but I'll have to see if I can find them. My skin is getting down and won't be giving anymore of those away.

By the way, some subs that can be trimmed to look decent are guinea feathers and some starling feathers. I think there's even some pheasant feathers that can work.

chugbug27- you can usually get the split jungle cock eyes off of ebay - 30 of them for around $6 or $7. I usually just take some head cement and coat them back into shape.