Fly Tying
Patriot

Veevus 50 Denier - Amazing thread

Aar-gh!! I think I spoke too soon about this thread.

I've been tieing some TMC2487 #20 detached/extended body adult midges and it seems that no matter what I try, the body rotates away from me when I tighten my thread wraps. I've tried gluing the thread down with varnish and Hard as Hull to the bare hook, but neither of those have bonded the thread to the hook. I fail to understand why this is so, but those are my results with those adhesives. I have not tried my UV goop, perhaps I should.

post-61757-0-30454200-1508013327_thumb.jpg

I have also tried waxing the thread when I first wrap the thread on the hook and the wax did keep the thread from slipping at that moment. But, after applying material everything began to slip. I must not be consistent in my tension as I wrap or else I'm doing something else incorrectly.

I'm not giving up on this thread because IMO, it is perfect for my small ties. However, I don't want to be tieing 'sidewinder' midges. sad.png

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Patriot,

Take a break and check out these videos. They all use Semperfi Nano Silk, which is a GSP thread like 50 denier Veevus:

Don't be opposed to using generous half hitches when tying. Use a sparse drop of super glue at tie in point or points - in the case of this pattern - on wings...(Check out this video on Barr's Web Wing Caddis):

Finally, when one tightens GSP thread, do it above the plane of the hook shank, on your side of the hook. This assists in keeping materials from rolling on the hook shank...

PT/TB

I would just move on to Uni Trico. Hands down my favorite thread for any thing small. It is surprisingly strong, 17/0, flattens, splits easily & wont dull your scissors. Only comes in white but that is what markers are for. Amazing stuff, I use it for everything but streamers.

Patriot,

Take a break and check out these videos. They all use Semperfi Nano Silk, which is a GSP thread like 50 denier Veevus:

Don't be opposed to using generous half hitches when tying. Use a sparse drop of super glue at tie in point or points - in the case of this pattern - on wings...(Check out this video on Barr's Web Wing Caddis):

Finally, when one tightens GSP thread, do it above the plane of the hook shank, on your side of the hook. This assists in keeping materials from rolling on the hook shank...

PT/TB

Thank you very much for your in-depth reply to my Veevus thread slipping problem. The Super Glue did the trick. My wife had a bottle of Loctite Super Glue and this worked like a charm.

post-61757-0-98011900-1508037498_thumb.jpg

I have to admit that it is somewhat embarrassing to have to ask for help in keeping the thread on the hook. This is schoolboy stuff, but this Veevus is an incredibly slick thread material. However, IMO, it is PERFECT for tying small flies.

I found it interesting that the gentleman in the video used wax the keep the thread from rotating. I tried that and while it worked then, later on when I was locking down the material, everything just rotated on the hook. However, your Super Glue suggestion was the perfect solution to my problem.

I'm now good to go. I sincerely appreciate your help and the video links as well.

@planettrout

I found your website very interesting and entertaining. I did a quick search to see if you have ever fished our San Juan River here in Northern New Mexico. I did not see any reference to it, but I could have missed it. Tomorrow I will return and spend a bit more time browsing your website.

I suppose I should document all of my fly fishing adventures on a website as well.

Thanks again.

I would just move on to Uni Trico. Hands down my favorite thread for any thing small. It is surprisingly strong, 17/0, flattens, splits easily & wont dull your scissors. Only comes in white but that is what markers are for. Amazing stuff, I use it for everything but streamers.

Thanks for the info. I will order a spool or two next time I need materials.

Aar-gh!! I think I spoke too soon about this thread.

I've been tieing some TMC2487 #20 detached/extended body adult midges and it seems that no matter what I try, the body rotates away from me when I tighten my thread wraps. I've tried gluing the thread down with varnish and Hard as Hull to the bare hook, but neither of those have bonded the thread to the hook. I fail to understand why this is so, but those are my results with those adhesives. I have not tried my UV goop, perhaps I should.

attachicon.gifveevus50-slipping.jpg

I have also tried waxing the thread when I first wrap the thread on the hook and the wax did keep the thread from slipping at that moment. But, after applying material everything began to slip. I must not be consistent in my tension as I wrap or else I'm doing something else incorrectly.

I'm not giving up on this thread because IMO, it is perfect for my small ties. However, I don't want to be tieing 'sidewinder' midges. sad.png

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

I used to have a similar problem with my LBB fly, which has a foam detached body. I found a very simple solution. Wind the thread 4 or 5 turns past the detached body tie in point. Do not trim off the tag end. Wind the thread towards the eye to the detached body tie in point. Bring the tag end of the thread forward over these wraps and tie down. Then tie in the detached body on that base. I prefer a tying solution to glue, but you can use whatever works for you.

Cheers,

C.

I used to have a similar problem with my LBB fly, which has a foam detached body. I found a very simple solution. Wind the thread 4 or 5 turns past the detached body tie in point. Do not trim off the tag end. Wind the thread towards the eye to the detached body tie in point. Bring the tag end of the thread forward over these wraps and tie down. Then tie in the detached body on that base. I prefer a tying solution to glue, but you can use whatever works for you.

Cheers,

C.

I will indeed try your method and see if that works for me. I TOTALLY agree with you on finding a non-glue solution to this issue because my tying bench is beginning to smell like a chemical factory.

You did not mention the thread you were using when you had the slippage problem with your LBB fly. I believe that, in my case, the Veevus 50 is the culprit because it is very slick and difficult to lock in place. Super Glue completely solves this problem for me which is great because the thinness of this thread is ideal for my small flies.

On the flip side of the SG solution, it can create bulk to the body if you do not use it very, very sparingly. When I wrap 0.025 lead over the glued thread my small flies begin to go out of normal proportion very quickly. I may try just tying in a 'strand' of lead alongside the hook shank and not twist it around the hook as we normally do. This may reduce the bulk somewhat. If I were not tying on such small hooks none of these things would be a problem.

I may have to resort to using lead on my tippet and skip using lead on these small flies altogether.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

try tight wraps of thread and .010 lead wire

.025 lead wire is way to big for size 20 and smaller hooks

Perennial problem with GSP threads. Some go so far as to scar up the hook with a file before tying. Dave's Flexament works pretty well with GSP threads. When they first came out a decade or more ago, everyone was touting their virtues. Flash forward to today, and the truth is it has its adherents in Europe and some in the US, but generally speaking for most tiers it is a niche product.

Just a thought.

With braid fishing line, on regular reels, it's recommended to have a base layer of monofiliment on the reel. The braid then locks into the mono and won't slip on the reel.

Might work on a hook. Lay down a single, tight layer of NON-gsp and tie off. Then tie your fly with the gsp.

Just a thought.

With braid fishing line, on regular reels, it's recommended to have a base layer of monofiliment on the reel. The braid then locks into the mono and won't slip on the reel.

Might work on a hook. Lay down a single, tight layer of NON-gsp and tie off. Then tie your fly with the gsp.

You just might be on to something with your suggestion. I will try that out tomorrow.

If it works, what kind of topping do you want on your pizza?smile.png

try tight wraps of thread and .010 lead wire

.025 lead wire is way to big for size 20 and smaller hooks

I hear ya.

I did have some 0.015 lead wire but it was the non-lead kind. It weighed about half of what a comparable spool of 'real' lead wire weighed, so I tossed it about a week ago. All it did was take up space on my hooks and did nothing to sink the fly like lead would do.

What a waste of $$.

Perennial problem with GSP threads. Some go so far as to scar up the hook with a file before tying. Dave's Flexament works pretty well with GSP threads. When they first came out a decade or more ago, everyone was touting their virtues. Flash forward to today, and the truth is it has its adherents in Europe and some in the US, but generally speaking for most tiers it is a niche product.

No doubt that I'm way behind the 'times'. That's what not tieing for over ten years will do for you. I'm slowing coming back up to speed, but it's been painful. However, slowly but surely, I'm getting back in the groove.

Thanks for your comments.

Patriot,

Watch this video by Kelly Galloup:

..and review this Fly Tying Thread Table from Global Flyfisher:

http://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-thread-table

IMHO Uni Trico Thread 17/0, 50 denier is severely lacking in strength and GSP threads are hardly a niche product - see Kelly's video. One of the best threads I use is Tiemco 16/0, 200 meter spools, which is now unavailable, but is the flattest lying thread I have ever used, off the spool, next to Lagartun 74 Denier ( which is also now almost impossible to find )...It is Charlie Craven's favorite thread for small flies and he has a boatload stashed away for his personal use

This is the Tiemco 16/0 Thread:

KN3t4nM.jpg

hKH1ZSe.jpg

PT/TB