Fly Tying
Patriot

Veevus 50 Denier - Amazing thread

Just a thought.

With braid fishing line, on regular reels, it's recommended to have a base layer of monofiliment on the reel. The braid then locks into the mono and won't slip on the reel.

Might work on a hook. Lay down a single, tight layer of NON-gsp and tie off. Then tie your fly with the gsp.

You just might be on to something with your suggestion. I will try that out tomorrow.

If it works, what kind of topping do you want on your pizza?smile.png

Pineapple is too sweet for a pizza and I'm not into burn-your-mouth spices. Any other toppings will be fine !!!

I used to have a similar problem with my LBB fly, which has a foam detached body. I found a very simple solution. Wind the thread 4 or 5 turns past the detached body tie in point. Do not trim off the tag end. Wind the thread towards the eye to the detached body tie in point. Bring the tag end of the thread forward over these wraps and tie down. Then tie in the detached body on that base. I prefer a tying solution to glue, but you can use whatever works for you.

Cheers,

C.

I will indeed try your method and see if that works for me. I TOTALLY agree with you on finding a non-glue solution to this issue because my tying bench is beginning to smell like a chemical factory.

You did not mention the thread you were using when you had the slippage problem with your LBB fly. I believe that, in my case, the Veevus 50 is the culprit because it is very slick and difficult to lock in place. Super Glue completely solves this problem for me which is great because the thinness of this thread is ideal for my small flies.

On the flip side of the SG solution, it can create bulk to the body if you do not use it very, very sparingly. When I wrap 0.025 lead over the glued thread my small flies begin to go out of normal proportion very quickly. I may try just tying in a 'strand' of lead alongside the hook shank and not twist it around the hook as we normally do. This may reduce the bulk somewhat. If I were not tying on such small hooks none of these things would be a problem.

I may have to resort to using lead on my tippet and skip using lead on these small flies altogether.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

Oops, new to the quote feature, I'll have to figure that out, sorry.

Re your lead wire buildup problem on small flies, have you tried touching turns of flattened lead? They sell it in matchbook form on many sites, or you can flatten your own with a seam roller ala Davie McPhail video demo, or buy golf club lead and cut strips to size

patriot wrote

"This thread is absolutley perfect for the #22-#24 size hooks that I tie."

then

"When I wrap 0.025 lead over the glued thread my small flies begin to go out of normal proportion very quickly."

where can you find lead material that is truely proportional to those hook sizes.

why would you even weight thee sizes. use a split shot to get the fly down

giphy.gif

The tungsten thread that has been discussed here before would be an option. In my experience it is worthless to use for actual thread but it is very fine and can be used in place of lead on small flies. Use it just like lead wire. I find it helps get very small subsurface flies through the surface film without adding any bulk.

Joe

Pineapple is too sweet for a pizza and I'm not into burn-your-mouth spices. Any other toppings will be fine !!!

Got it! On the way, but BYOB.smile.png

Oops, new to the quote feature, I'll have to figure that out, sorry.

Re your lead wire buildup problem on small flies, have you tried touching turns of flattened lead? They sell it in matchbook form on many sites, or you can flatten your own with a seam roller ala Davie McPhail video demo, or buy golf club lead and cut strips to size

I have a flat ribbon of sticky lead and I cut an approximate 1/8"-1/16" strip and that is what I tried at first, then witched over to the lead wire. I may have given up too quickly on the flat lead ribbon, but as flytire noted, perhaps just using lead on the tippet and foregoing the lead on the fly may be the best solution. It is, at least, the simplest solution that does not alter the normal profile of the fly and, IMHO, profiles are probably a very important trigger to induce the trout into striking.

I did not get much tieing in yesterday as I was in woodworking mode. Today, I will try all the things each of you have suggested.

Thanks for your post. I appreciate the help.

The tungsten thread that has been discussed here before would be an option. In my experience it is worthless to use for actual thread but it is very fine and can be used in place of lead on small flies. Use it just like lead wire. I find it helps get very small subsurface flies through the surface film without adding any bulk.

Joe

Tungsten thread is news to me, but that sounds like a great option. If someone mentioned that in this thread I missed it.

Doing a quick search, I came across 'Tungsten Fly Tying Powder'. Man, what else will they think of?

Thanks for the info.

P.S. I found an old thread where you mentioned tungsten thread. From what I read, this wire may be difficult to work with, especially on small hooks.

I just had a thought: What if the tungsten wire were used for ribbing?

Most of my nymph's use ribbing, so perhaps we could have our cake and eat it, too?? Plus, it would not alter the flies profile and may actually add more weight to the fly since the ribbing is probably longer that if it were wrapped on the hook shank as we normally do.

Hmm-mmm, ....

Patriot,

Watch this video by Kelly Galloup:

..and review this Fly Tying Thread Table from Global Flyfisher:

http://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-thread-table

IMHO Uni Trico Thread 17/0, 50 denier is severely lacking in strength and GSP threads are hardly a niche product - see Kelly's video. One of the best threads I use is Tiemco 16/0, 200 meter spools, which is now unavailable, but is the flattest lying thread I have ever used, off the spool, next to Lagartun 74 Denier ( which is also now almost impossible to find )...It is Charlie Craven's favorite thread for small flies and he has a boatload stashed away for his personal use

This is the Tiemco 16/0 Thread:

PT/TB

As usual, you've landed with a boat-load of info.

I will indeed take a look at Kelly's video and look into the UT 17/0 thread. I have also bookmarked the thread table.

Someone mentioned that Lagartun has been shuttered due to the owner's death, but his wife may be bringing the business back to life. This is a shame because, from what I have read, there is high demand for their products.

Thanks for your help.

If you use the tungsten thread just as you would use lead wire on larger flies, it works fine. It is just too brittle to use as thread on a bobbin holder to tie a fly with the twisting of it after each wrap. It breaks. But wrapping as weight with your hand, breaking is not a problem. Just another possible option.

Joe

If you use the tungsten thread just as you would use lead wire on larger flies, it works fine. It is just too brittle to use as thread on a bobbin holder to tie a fly with the twisting of it after each wrap. It breaks. But wrapping as weight with your hand, breaking is not a problem. Just another possible option.

Joe

Got it! Thanks!

tungsten thread is just like wrapping a guitar string around a hook shank. trust me its a waste of time and money

fly tyers have a way at making things difficult

Just a thought.

With braid fishing line, on regular reels, it's recommended to have a base layer of monofiliment on the reel. The braid then locks into the mono and won't slip on the reel.

Might work on a hook. Lay down a single, tight layer of NON-gsp and tie off. Then tie your fly with the gsp.

I have used a layer of electrical insulating tape on reel spools before, to serve the same purpose

Tungsten thread is just like wrapping a guitar string around a hook shank. trust me its a waste of time and money

Never have had a problem if you cut it off the spool before using it like lead wire. On the spool in a bobbin holder, yes.

Joe