Fly Tying
Kimo

February Flies from the Vise

Ugh!
You guys who tie sizes 16 and 18, or smaller flies ... you can have them!

Went to Cabela's for a fly tying class. We tied a 16 caddis, a 16 ant and an 18 parachute midge.

9616d1517974134-what-have-you-been-tying

Neat experiment ... for me ... to see if I like tying that small. No, I don't.
Besides, if I used those back in Florida, the only thing I'd catch all day, would be 2 inch sunfish.

Made these for smallmouth in the Finger Lakes of New York. First time trying out Surface Seducer 'double-barreled' popper bodies by Flymen. Won't know how they fish for a few months yet.

post-62702-0-55322800-1518009119_thumb.jpg

Ugh!

Went to Cabela's for a fly tying class. We tied a 16 caddis, a 16 ant and an 18 parachute midge.

Besides, if I used those back in Florida, the only thing I'd catch all day, would be 2 inch sunfish.

You'd be surprised Mike! I've seen 5+ pound bass sipping sinsects off the surface. Throwing a wake like a submarine when they do. It's really awesome to watch them cruise around just under the surface and gently sipping insects, as supposed to crashing baitfish violently like most bass fishermen think of.

Ugh!

16-18 would be considered huge on my local river. Most of the time we have to fish size 22-26 to get looks from the larger and smarter trout. And with the right rod (I fish a 10 3wt) you can bring in 20+ fish on a size 26 barbless hook. Not easy, but possible. But the difficulty I think makes it more fun.

Im not opposed to fishing larger flies though. I came from a saltwater background and also did a lot of bass fishing in my day. Generally I was fishing much larger flies. Usually in the size 2-3/0 range. However there were timed when bass fishing that I would throw on a tiny hopper pattern or something. Never as small as 18 though, usually around 8-12. I have caught bass on a size 20 elk hair caddis though before, but I was bluegill fishing at a local pond for fun, and a small bass hit it. Actually its happened a few times. Mostly smaller bass though, my biggest was in the 1lb range when using smaller stuff. But generally yeah, when bass fishing Im fishing with larger flies. Trout fishing is just different man, a fully different game.

Great looking wings on that sandflyx, and gp that's a pretty intricate body for calling it an adams, I really like that. Your design?

Thank you Chug!

Yes my design. Going for buggy body and thorax.. glad you like it.

The grey hares ear was the closest I could find to match Adams grey.