Fly Tying
dawgvet

Ribbing material on Hare's Ear nymph?

If you get the finest gold wire you can, that will tie the smallest of flies. If you want to tie the fly a little larger, double the wire and twist it up tight. Larger, double the wire and twist again. If the fly is the GRHE nymph then this gives you a weight advantage over using oval tinsel. By doing this you have a "one size fits all" solution.

Personally I use fine flat gold tinsel fot the rib on my GRHE. However, I fish them in the original way... As a dry fly.

Cheers,

C.

The GRHE dry fly is a good thought, Ya know i have never tried that. It is now on my list for next year's Maine river fishing trips since this year is shot in the butt !

The GRHE dry fly is a good thought, Ya know i have never tried that. It is now on my list for next year's Maine river fishing trips since this year is shot in the butt !

Dave, I'm sure you'll love it. The original had a posted wing of blackbird, the hackle was picked out fibres from the body, around the thoracic area. Mine I have updated with modern techniques, and hackle it with hare's mask in a dubbing loop or split thread. Rather than write about it, I'll show you the beastie.

post-43582-0-42957300-1538579069_thumb.jpg

It should be primrose thread, but I have none spooled up, which is why you have it with tan thread. I don't think it makes that much difference. Perhaps black or red would. The tail and hackle are from a bunch of hare's mask fur trimmed off the mask and cut to length so none of the underfur is left. This is on a size 16 barbless dry fly hook. If I go smaller than this I use a straight eye hook, otherwise the same.

Have fun with your version, and let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers,

C.

Dave, I'm sure you'll love it. The original had a posted wing of blackbird, the hackle was picked out fibres from the body, around the thoracic area. Mine I have updated with modern techniques, and hackle it with hare's mask in a dubbing loop or split thread. Rather than write about it, I'll show you the beastie.

attachicon.gifGRHE Dry.JPG

It should be primrose thread, but I have none spooled up, which is why you have it with tan thread. I don't think it makes that much difference. Perhaps black or red would. The tail and hackle are from a bunch of hare's mask fur trimmed off the mask and cut to length so none of the underfur is left. This is on a size 16 barbless dry fly hook. If I go smaller than this I use a straight eye hook, otherwise the same.

Have fun with your version, and let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers,

C.

Cool thanks.

Crystal Flash works well for me. It's quick, easy, and usually close at hand. I am not a fan of collecting a lot of materials so

I tend to keep it heretically simple.

Though not traditional, I have never caught a fish old enough to have been around that got used to tradition anyway!

For a long time I used copper wire -- it's easier for me to work with that any form of tinsel, and a lot more durable. I also like that it's a bit more understated while still adding a bit of flash. Lately I've taken to using "Ultra Wire" in the "Brassie" size.

Watched a Kelly Galoup GRHE video yesterday. He used 2 strands of glod crystal flash. I tied a few that way. Not totally traditional but they look pretty good. To me anyone

post-61480-0-48977200-1540419035_thumb.jpg