Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

As a foot note to all of the TRV discussion. I have 2 Renzetti vises. The Master I've already mentioned and an older Presentation 2000 (2004 as it was called then to be exact). I refer to it as my "Mini-Master" because of the ability to pivot the head. The interesting thing is I tried some larger hooks to see what happens on the 2004, and as per the Renzetti web site it easily held a 4/0 securely and even larger sizes including the needed protective plastic to preserve the finish on those expensive handmade custom blind eye salmon hooks.

Obviously one's choice of vise is purely personal...so whatever works for you and your budget allows...go for it !!!!!

11 hours ago, Mogup said:

This is my baby !

3541CFA8-8B30-44D5-8749-19EF9ACA14BD.jpeg

Here's my baby Mogup with the new taller stem.  Dyna King Barracuda is a fantastic piece of engineering. I love the function that allows both our vises to pivot the jaws up.  It really opens up the back of the hook.  I also love that everything on both vises is stainless, brass or tool steel. 

IMG_6204.thumb.JPG.9a19e8f30b3c292bf36cfa2a3db95d5c.JPG

32 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

The tying space we all need and enjoy as our escape place.

George you are so right.  Due to the power outages from the tropical storm last week we had all 6 of our grandchildren for 5 days- we only lost power for a couple of hours and they were out for days.  The tying desk is in a room with a door, my "Fortress of Solitude" and perfect place to be when the chaos and noise levels exceeded my threshold.  I was also fortunate to get out on a the river while my wife an daughter took the tiny monsters on a long hike at a nearby state park.  The water is really low at this time of year and therefore deserted -perfect.  Tough fishing, really shallow,  knee deep water was a "pool".  I could see the brookies but are they spooky at this time of year.  Still a great morning- I caught lots of quiet and I didn't have to watch Frozen for the 37th time!

Parents that have more than 2 children are like superhero's to me-

I don't have any pictures, but you can obviously do the same with the jaws on either of the Renzettis I own. I've never done this, but next time on some small flies I sure will.

My tying room/office has a door as well...with a lock👍 We don't have any children, therefore none of the little urchins either...and no complaints 😁

Very nice DFoster !  i’ve eyeballed the TRV several times at the shows.

I need space !  As I’m a very untidy tyer 😳,   I tied alot of saltwater patterns which call for multi bucktail and saddle

colors and a large desk is required for me anyway.  

I know this a very old thread on the HMH TRV but I wondering since I might purchase one, of the vise owners who posted here in the past.....are you still using the vise and if so what has been you long term opinion on the vise? 

Thank you.

Terry

1 hour ago, XPATier said:

I know this a very old thread on the HMH TRV but I wondering since I might purchase one, of the vise owners who posted here in the past.....are you still using the vise and if so what has been you long term opinion on the vise? 

Thank you.

Terry

Yes, I use it all the time, I have several others including top names but I almost always use the TRV. No vise is perfect but to me, mine is close.

I sold my trv awhile ago

not for me. Couldn’t tighten the knob tight enough. Im old and weak 😯

2 hours ago, XPATier said:

Thank you.

Terry

Hi Terry - I have had my TRV since 2019 and have tied somewhere around a thousand flies on it.  It's the only vise I own and it's not likely that I will ever buy another.  The only discernable wear in that time has been to the gun bluing on the jaws and that is very minor.  Other than 2 Teflon washers and a bushing the entire vise is made out of tool steel, stainless steel or brass.  No plastic or aluminum.  All of the set screws are steel or brass.   I can't even imagine how any part on it could fail with normal use.   Perhaps the Teflon washers used to control the drag of the rotation will one day wear? (I don't know) but they are very simple to change and replacements can be found at any hardware store for less than a buck.  I tie trout flies from size 2 down to 22 and have had no issues with the hook holding ability of my vise.  

It's a great vise.  I've had mine for about 5 years and have no complaints.  It's pricey but gotta spend money on something.  I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner vise.  You have to put some torque on that wheel and unless you do, the hook will slip but once you get used to it, a hook will never slip.  I don't know the upper end of hook holding power, so the biggest I've done is a 2 0.  

Were I starting off all over again, I'd get a Renzetti Traveler.  I have one of those, too. A TRV won't do anything that a Renzetti Traveler won't do.   A very good vise and IMO much easier to use than a TRV.  t And very affordable.  I've got 8 vises but most of my tying hours are on the TRV.  It's a marvel.  It's way above my competence level.  

Thanks guys for the info. I've been tying for 45+ years, 10 of those commercially and have more vises than I care to admit. I've been eyeballing the TRV for some time but I also have my eye on a Renzetti Master Vise. I had a salt water Renzetti for a few years but recently sold it. It was a very good vise . I sold off a few other vises recently and wanted to add a new one. On the TRV do any of you find the star knob for tightening the hook to be in the way when tying?

Thanks again.

Terry

12 hours ago, XPATier said:

On the TRV do any of you find the star knob for tightening the hook to be in the way when tying?

Thanks again.

Terry

I tied on a Renzetti Traveler before my TRV.   IMO the Traveler is one of the best vises out there and it can do anything a TRV can.  I went to the TRV for no other reason than I just like design and I like nice things.  I'm not a commercial tyer, tying flies for me is just another part of the fun in the art of fly fishing.  Tying is also a great way to stay inspired (sane) through our bitter New England winters.   The knob has never been an issue for me, I don't even notice it when I'm tying.  At least on my vise when using hooks sizes 10 and smaller, I only need quarter turn past "snug" and the hook will not move.  When it comes to sizes 8 to 2 I need to turn the knob a little more, say a half turn to three quarters of a turn past snug to get them to hold.  Larger than 2  and the radial grooves in the jaws will do all the work for you.

I tied on a Ren Master vise before I went to the TRV. If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have kept the Master, but then, maybe not.  Both are great vises and the TRV hits the right notes for me.

My vise choices in no way reflect my tying skill.  There is something I've discovered in myself: I tend to like cheap but dependable things.  I've got two less-expensive vises that I like to use occasionally, and I could get by, actually, on a Wolff Apex vise (mine was $84 when I bought it, now they're closer to $200!)_  But just getting by doesn't suit something in my makeup that needs fine things.  I had a Traveler, sold it, got a Master vise, sold it, looking  something better and got the TRV.  Which is no better than the Master vise.  I've spent a lot of money chasing the rainbow of competence, haven't excelled at it yet.

I'd rather have a muscle car than a Jeep. 

But no, the wheel doesn't get in the way at all. After I lock it down, it disappears for me.

I'm a bit of a vise nut, and I currently own a Renzetti Master, HMH TRV and a Cottarelli T-Rex.

I'll review my history with the TRV. My first one would hold hooks up to 8/0 or 9/0 no problem...but nothing smaller than a size 8 or heavy wire 10. My second one was just the opposite, it would hold everything from a 28 to a 2/0, and nothing bigger. I loved tying on the vise but I wanted something that would hold the full range of sizes like the Renzetti Master. I bought my third TRV with plans to try and modify it to do what I wanted. One of the fine gentlemen here told me he owned a machine shop and had done exactly that to his own TRV. I sent him mine and the rest is history. On my tryout of the modified vise it would hold a 28 through 9/0. I tie on it most of the time, but give the other 2 vises a bit of use occasionally.

I wanted something that held larger salmon fly hooks for the classics I tie and the TRV is what I saw as an improved LAW vise because it was a true rotary which the LAW is not.

If your needs do not exceed anything larger than a 2/0 hook I'd say go for the TRV. It really is a fine piece of equipment.

George