Fly Tying
Hardyrod1974

Fugly Packer How well do these work?

I just watched this video. What a great idea!

I just checked out Harbor Freight's web site and they have two versions of those pliers, a 4" version for $3.99 and a 10" version for $6.99.

Such a deal!

I think the 4" pair will do nicely.

There's usually another option available

Also check out the beading area in your local craft shop for the cutter

Dollar Tree sometimes has end cutters like that in their "automotive/hardware" section. Pretty funny, since a $1.00 pair of wire cutters performs exactly like you'd think ... cutting anything harder than copper wire will leave a nick.

But for this purpose ... I think they might work great. I'm going to try that before I invest in a "Fugly Packer".

Thanks for that link, Flytire.

I don't have one but I can see how they would work better then anything else. I want one but for what they are, 30+ dollars seems obscene for some small pieces of bent metal. I will add a poopdeck packer to my list of things to make. Should be pretty simple and CHEAP!!!

I would like to change my response. I now see how they would work as good as a much cheaper and more easily acquired tool that I already have. The fugley packer has now moved to the top of my ways to seperate fly fishermen from their money list. I still want to make a poopdeck packer though. On my next trip to the home improvement store I'm going to ask them for a piece of metal banding that is no doubt littering the back warehouse.

That's the one I had, Flytire. I threw it away after it bent on my first attempt to use it. As was mentioned by another reply, if you're tying little deer hair flies for trout, the Brassie might work. If you're trying to pack a tight bass bug, the Brassie won't hold up.

The reason Cohen invented the Fugly Packer was the other problem with the brassie. Your hand tends to slip off when you pushing, letting your finger/thumb slide right into the hook point.

I was seriously thinking about a fugly a while back, until I found these pliers in an old toolbox. The minute I seen them I knew what I could use them for. I filed notches and put them with the tying tools. The notches could be deeper, but I don't squeeze the pliers i'm just pushing. As long as I don't deform the hook from pushing too hard they work great. Been packing ever since.

post-59266-0-97293200-1542221766_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-98477100-1542221784_thumb.jpg

I have a Brassie. I don't love it. I saw that someone had taken a large decorative wooden spindle about 6 inches long and drilled a hole in the end. May try that first, or the ballpoint pen.

p-112991-APB-600x538.jpg

empty thread spool would work

s-l640.jpg

ec69b618f424c3ad6addfd59ff9b6a4b_preview

drill a hole in the end of a no longer in use hair stacker for a repurposed packing tool

51xNrXx9MqL._SX425_.jpg

It's worth every penny. I have also made a lot of the Deadfly style packers (I'm just dangerous enough with a wood lathe). The Deadfly tools I use more for tying off/half hitching than I do for packing. The Fugly is the packing tool to have. I use the full size on bugs as small as size 10 bluegill bugs. Don't be intimidated by the size.

I was waiting for your reply, Cream. You probably use yours more than 99% of the other tyers on this site.

Your bugs are proof positive that the tool works, and works exceptionally well. Maybe your skill has something to do with it?