Fly Tying
KGivan

Baetis Nymph

What is the best material to use for Baetis nymph tails? I was trying to tie from a recipe by Oliver Edwards, it called for olive badger hair, which I have not found. I tried olive deer tail but it seems to flimsy.

Please advise.

The hair from a shaving brush is badger hair.
You'll love it because some of the hair is naturally split.
Just color them with marker.

46485913_2250330478311581_65377513505606

Sample of what badger tails look like.

39514811_2122661421078488_38720836220349

Kimo

For small nymphs, I would opt for a feather fiber tail. Pheasant tail, Wood duck flank or, if you want something stiffer and a little more durable, Coq de Leon

I don't think there's any one best material. For little baetis nymphs I prefer partridge, but I've used grouse, various duck flanks, pheasant, rabbit, and fox squirrel, but I can't say the fish cared one bit which materials I used.

"We don'd need no stinking badgers" He, he, he. Just kidding of course. I say make some with badger, and birds and everything else, and see what works best for you.

I must tie some emergers.

I don't think there's any one best material. For little baetis nymphs I prefer partridge, but I've used grouse, various duck flanks, pheasant, rabbit, and fox squirrel, but I can't say the fish cared one bit which materials I used.

I agree. I used to buy flies from a steam-side seller that used hackle stems for tail, nice curve and taper and they worked; today I looked at some that a successful angler was using that had what he said was Flashabou for tails. I used mono-filament on some that caught fish, but I didn't like them; which may show that fishers can be more selective than trout.

However, I would say that if I want my fly to look like any pattern I would need to use the called for materials. That is why it is called a pattern.

And there's "micro-fibbets". Much like the natural badger shaving brushes shown above, but synthetic. Some paint brushes have similar fibers. Unlike cheaper paintbrushes, however, micro-fibbets taper to a fine point. I think that mimics real insect "tails" etc.

moose body hairs

moose mane hairs

peccary hairs

hackle fibers

pheasant tail fibers

partridge feather fibers

z-lon

woodduck/mallard feather fibers

squirrel tail fibers

microfibbets (or artists paint brush bristles. thats all what microfibbets are)

dont be stuck on one material just because a recipe calls for it. substitute

Coq de Leon rooster saddle. Durable, and scales well. Oliver badger would be pretty hard to find, but you could always just take a magic marker to normal badger in a pinch.