Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tommyt

Looking for Hemostats with rubber pads instead of teeth or smooth

Years ago I had a pair of 6" or 8" straight Hemostats that had 1" long jaws with factory rubber pads instead of teeth or a smooth gripping surface.

I have since lost them and have not been able to source another pair or two on line.

Does anyone know where I can get a few pair of Hemostats with factory rubber pads on small 1" jaws?

I've tried heat shrink on the jaws but Then they don't close all the way and the heat shrink gets crushed and tears.

Thanks and kind regards,

Tom

Thanks for the reply but tongue fprcepts are not what I was looking for. I have a pair of those as well.

Please have a look at the following drawing I put together. Yiu will see that the jaws are very short at around an inch and that the stainless has been machined/recessed to accept molded in rubber pads.

Regards,

Tom

post-63950-0-64578700-1544868943_thumb.jpeg

Tommyt,

Just curious. What fishing applications do such forceps have? Easier on flies during hook removal?

Rocco

@Rocco the forceps/hemostats I'm looking for are great for very delicate work like fly making, holding fine fibers, feathers, tiny hooks or anything you don't want to mar/damage.

@flytire The forceps in the two pics you posted are just dipped or use heat shrink tube. Tried that but not nearly as good as what I'm looking for. Thanks for looking.

Your next best option is to try some Medical Supply stores. If they're used in the OR, they should stock them, unless the rubber pads don't survive an autoclave...

Alan :o

Okay, so you grind a recess on each face of your forceps, then epoxy inner tube rubber to faces, trim and you've got your forceps. Otherwise you keep searching. If you had them once they must still be out there somewhere.

Thanks for the reply but tongue fprcepts are not what I was looking for. I have a pair of those as well.

Please have a look at the following drawing I put together. Yiu will see that the jaws are very short at around an inch and that the stainless has been machined/recessed to accept molded in rubber pads.

Regards,

Tom

Interesting, I can think of a few things to use those for. But the tongue holders are the only rubber ones I know of. Do you recall where you got the first set or have any idea what they were meant to be used for? Many specialty forceps/clamps/hemostats made and those have to be rare or more of us would have seen them.

I suggest you investigate the Fogarty Peripheral Vascular Clamp by Edwards Life Sciences. The clamp inserts are interchangeable for varying degrees of softness. One set of inserts may be what you need.

Thomas Fogarty was a Cardiac Surgery Resident at Stanford when I was a surgical intern. So his vascular clamp came to mind when I read this thread.

He is a genius. He invented the Fogarty balloon catheter which is the basis for all the embolectomy and balloon cardiac stent catheters that we now have. When he was a youngster, he invented the centrifugal clutch which is/was used on gas powered golf carts. He also owns Fogarty Winery.

https://www.edwards.com/devices/accessories/atraumatic-occlusion

"Hydrajaw inserts are made of hollow rubber filled with medical-grade silicone to provide smooth atraumatic occlusion" Since the inserts are filled with fluid silicone, the pressure is equalized across the jaw instead of being higher at the inside and lower at the edges. Traditional solid vascular clamps tend to crush the arteries at the inner part of the clamp in order to stop blood flow at the outside edge of the artery. Fogarty's genius was to realize that a fluid filled rubber insert would neutralize the scissors effect of a vascular clamp.

ar09793-2.png

evergripzoom_258.png

inserts.png

Caution: Federal (United States) law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician.

See Instructions For Use (IFU) / Directions For Use (DFU) for full prescribing information, including indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions and adverse events.

wonder why that is?

I suggest you investigate the Fogarty Peripheral Vascular Clamp by Edwards Life Sciences. The clamp inserts are interchangeable for varying degrees of softness. One set of inserts may be what you need.

Thomas Fogarty was a Cardiac Surgery Resident at Stanford when I was a surgical intern. So his vascular clamp came to mind when I read this thread.

He is a genius. He invented the Fogarty balloon catheter which is the basis for all the embolectomy and balloon cardiac stent catheters that we now have. When he was a youngster, he invented the centrifugal clutch which is/was used on gas powered golf carts. He also owns Fogarty Winery.

https://www.edwards.com/devices/accessories/atraumatic-occlusion

"Hydrajaw inserts are made of hollow rubber filled with medical-grade silicone to provide smooth atraumatic occlusion" Since the inserts are filled with fluid silicone, the pressure is equalized across the jaw instead of being higher at the inside and lower at the edges. Traditional solid vascular clamps tend to crush the arteries at the inner part of the clamp in order to stop blood flow at the outside edge of the artery. Fogarty's genius was to realize that a fluid filled rubber insert would neutralize the scissors effect of a vascular clamp.

ar09793-2.png

evergripzoom_258.png

inserts.png

Man, you can get all the answers right here on FTF