Fly Tying
Bazzer69

The ultimate vise?

Poopdeck, I must respectfully disagree with you. I sell my knives to the same guys that will buy this vise. Very few of these people are making payments on anything. Certainly some of them are, but nobodies skipping their morning latte to save money for one. I make working knives too, that sell for, starting at $700.00 but my high end knives are bought by bankers, lawyers, doctors and successful businessmen that run large companies.

None of these people are fools, (most of them aren't) they've worked hard, became successful and now have enough discretionary funds to buy things that most people couldn't. Certainly not everybody with that kind of money buys high end vises and knives but many do (at least knives).

As I mentioned before, I have a back log of five years on my custom knives, it's not artificial. This week I will finish a knife that I took an order for in 2014. Now by virtue of his selling his vise on eBay, that may not be the case with him. I personally don't feel right making new knives to sell while people are waiting for their knives.

Some people would rather leave all their money to their children and some will set aside some for the children and do what ever they want with the rest. I for one am glad they do.

I'm one of the people that would never buy a high end vise or knife, I don't own any of my own knives ('cept my pheasant hunting knife). I would rather use the money on other things. Paying bills is high on the list. Even when I have all the bills payed, I don't look for that kind of thing. (i'd upgrade the boat)

Anyway, that's my perspective.

You maybe correct. However, people who make lots of money can also spend foolishly more then they can afford. Success/salary really has no bearing on being a fool with money. i bet these guys would slobber over themselves waiting four years for a matching vise to go with their high end knife. I bet norvise, CAE, or HMH TRV don't make a matching knife.

Poopdeck, I must respectfully disagree with you. I sell my knives to the same guys that will buy this vise. Very few of these people are making payments on anything. Certainly some of them are, but nobodies skipping their morning latte to save money for one. I make working knives too, that sell for, starting at $700.00 but my high end knives are bought by bankers, lawyers, doctors and successful businessmen that run large companies.

None of these people are fools, (most of them aren't) they've worked hard, became successful and now have enough discretionary funds to buy things that most people couldn't. Certainly not everybody with that kind of money buys high end vises and knives but many do (at least knives).

As I mentioned before, I have a back log of five years on my custom knives, it's not artificial. This week I will finish a knife that I took an order for in 2014. Now by virtue of his selling his vise on eBay, that may not be the case with him. I personally don't feel right making new knives to sell while people are waiting for their knives.

Some people would rather leave all their money to their children and some will set aside some for the children and do what ever they want with the rest. I for one am glad they do.

I'm one of the people that would never buy a high end vise or knife, I don't own any of my own knives ('cept my pheasant hunting knife). I would rather use the money on other things. Paying bills is high on the list. Even when I have all the bills payed, I don't look for that kind of thing. (i'd upgrade the boat)

Anyway, that's my perspective.

You maybe correct. However, people who make lots of money can also spend foolishly more then they can afford. Success/salary really has no bearing on being a fool with money. i bet these guys would slobber over themselves waiting four years for a matching vise to go with their high end knife. I bet norvise, CAE, or HMH TRV don't make a matching knife.

Actually it does have a bearing on it - the target buyers for these kinds of products indulge in expensive products that they could well do without because the success or salary allows them to do so. How do you know that they would spend foolishly (in your opinion) if their success did not make them feel free to do so?

Personally, I would never buy that vise. If I wanted one, I would learn to make one.

Poopdeck, knives and vises don't go well together, now knives and pistols, yes. I make knives that match ones own 1911 colt, all the way to the serial number. I'm going to make matching tools to go with the vise.

If you had all the money you wanted and plenty to spare, is any purchase a foolish one? Certainly if you couldn't afford it, it's foolish.

What I am saying is, most of my customers can afford it. I have one customer who bought $21,000.00 worth of my knives and gave them away to his customers for Christmas.

I have another customer that commissioned a $4,000.00 knife, he had a neighbor that liked it so much, the neighbor bought it from him for $10,000.00

Secondary sales of these high end things is a big deal. If it's built well, and the maker has a name, it's value doesn't diminish after the first buyer.

Mark,

I think you summed it well with one statement. To paraphrase, If you have the money and want it, it's not foolish. If you don't have it and buy it anyway, then it's foolish. That's not to say if you want to save your pocket change it's all bad.

Rstaight, spot on. Want it and can't afford it but buy it anyway. Dumb dumb dumb. Need it, thats a different thing but you still shouldnt rack up more debt than necessary.

Too many people living in a percarious financial model.

Mark,

I think you summed it well with one statement. To paraphrase, If you have the money and want it, it's not foolish. If you don't have it and buy it anyway, then it's foolish. That's not to say if you want to save your pocket change it's all bad.

Bingo. That's what I was saying. But just because they spent 21K does not mean they have the money to spend. Maybe they do but some don't. That's all. I'm out.

Looks like a Peak Riser on the base, the jaws look weak and Just because its so costly doesnt mean a damn thing. I would wager that the Nut behind the vise can do much better on a good Medallion Vise or a Peak, I have both and a few others, I cannot stand it when a company over prices a product as if its better because of price. Besides you cant buy it from J Stoddard so to me, its crap.

Mark,

Bingo. That's what I was saying. But just because they spent 21K does not mean they have the money to spend. Maybe they do but some don't. That's all. I'm out.
. If you have that much spare change, give it to hungry school kid programs, you would sleep better and catch more fish.

Fancy but it has one inherent flaw - the thin spot where the beautifully arched head connects to the body would be a very weak point. The first time something knocked the vise over or it was dropped on the head, ker-SNAP!

If you want a LAW knock-off, the HMH TRV would be the way to go.

Personally, I'm happy with my Renzetti Traveler.

Fancy but it has one inherent flaw - the thin spot where the beautifully arched head connects to the body would be a very weak point. The first time something knocked the vise over or it was dropped on the head, ker-SNAP!

If you want a LAW knock-off, the HMH TRV would be the way to go.

Personally, I'm happy with my Renzetti Traveler.

The steel that the jaws are made from is a pretty high end blend of stainless blade steels, as long as it's been heat treated properly I think the only thing that would be damaged is the floor it fell on, besides I don't think most of us drop or vises from high shelves on a regular basis.

I am not an technician, but I love this vise because ....... its an magnificent imitation of my own LAW vise. But its an imitation and I still prefer the original. Kind regards, Ad Hoogenboezem (The Netherlands)

One thing you can say about this thread ... not the vise, the thread ... is that it's brought out a lot of long-standing-rarely-posting members and some new people.

Good to see you back and welcome to the new people.

Three hours left and no bids. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I have used Mike Norris Damasteel. It's very tough it wouldn't break under normal circumstances. There are, of course some people that can wreck anything but those people don't normally buy $3,400.00 vises.