Fly Tying
breambuster

Houston, We Have A Problem

Vicente, I will be in Seneca tomorrow, the closest town, and there is a nice, new Hobby Lobby there, so I will ask them for “faux fur” and see what happens.

BB

Noahguide, I have been to Sportsmans Warehouse several times. I learned about them whe I was living in the Midlands and going to Columbia often. And when I moved here, they had just opened the Anderson store. But I dont think they sell faux fur, but Vicente says Hobby Lobby does. Do you live in this area? I live about the same distance between Seneca and Anderson.

BB

BB, I'm in the low lands in Little River near Myrtle Beach.

I fish for trout up in Mt Rest on the Chauga and Chattooga when I get the chance and on the lower Saluda when I'm too lazy to drive to Asheville. I'm pretty sure that the Sportsman warehouse store in Anderson has craft fur, it was fairly well stocked. If not HobLob or Micheals will have something, but not as long as the fly tyers craft fur. If not give Chattooga River Fly Shop a call, Karl will let you know what he has in stock.

http://www.chattoogariverflyshop.com/

Craft fur/faux fur same thing. Sportsmans warehouse has a pretty good fly tying section and often times really good hook prices.

OK, after my Dr's visit yesterday, I stopped in at Sportsman's Warehouse and found white craft fur at a good price. So I bought a package of White. I assume that Craft Fur doesn't float, and will help to turn the hook over? Is that correct?

Also, Mikechell, where do you get your Raccoon Tail? I have talked to the only "Coon Hunter" I know and he said he would send me a Raccoon Tail, but hasn't done so. And I can't find it at any of my mail order suppliers.

Thanks, everyone.

BB

Yea it's at least neutral I've only ever had issues with them not riding point up if I used a synthetic top with and a natural hair bottom wing.

biggrin.png I have two sources for Raccoon Tail. I drive to work 47 miles each way, each day. If I pay attention, I can see a fresh road kill and get one that way. Seems that Florida has a lot of stupid Raccoons that can't stay off the road. (Do they have cell phones?)

The other source is the breeding pairs that live around the house. Once a year or so, the populations gets burdensome. They start screaming and fighting each other almost every night. I kill a few in the yard to "cull the herd".

I had three ... I think I'm down to one and a half right now.

There are several available on E-bay right now.

I saw those at Sportsman’s Warehouse, but I had a couple of questions. First, they are about $15 and I wondered if that was a good price for a raccoon tail? And second, are they genuine raccoon tails.

BB

Right, Flytire. That’s what I was saying. The coin skin cap like you posted a picture of this afternoon costs $15 at Sportsman’s Warehouse. But raccoon tails on eBay are a good but less.

BB