Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
piddledplugs

Non-Translucent Yellow Floss?

Just wondering ... do you coat the heads after you tie them in? I see that your original complaint about transparency might not still be the case. But I always put a coat of fingernail polish on the threads when I am done tying a fly. Since they CAN'T absorb water, there's no problem with wet threads becoming transparent.

I cement the heads, yes, but not all of the thread & floss that shows. In the case of a stimulator, the floss that I'm dealing with has hackle palmered over it, so coating it without munging up the hackle would be an issue.

Anyway, I have some experimenting to do yet.

Thanks!

-pp

well coat the yellow floss in uv resin, wrap the hackle forward then cure the resin

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=88085&hl=asher&do=findComment&comment=736260

scroll through the stimulator flies tied by son_tao

https://www.instagram.com/son_tao

Those flies tied by son_tao are some of the most beautifully and effectively constructed flies I have ever seen. Flytire, thanks for posting the link. There are so many very skillful tiers associated with this site! It's amazing and a privilege to be able to view Fly Tying Forum everyday. Never know what valuable information will pop up next, and what an old geezer like me can learn!

There are so many very skillful tiers associated with this site!

i wish more tyers would post. it seems to be a few of handfuls of tyers doing most of the posting

lots of great tyers posting on instgram

You may want to give Textreme products a try. Once I found this product line all my other threads just sit and collect dust. The U.S. distributor for them also sells other items and just launched his own brand of hooks. Some of the best I've ordered lately, not the normal Chinese junk everyone has with a label change only.

So ... who DOES make their hooks, Darby? I am sure they don't make their own.

Perhaps they are the Chinese "not-junk" hooks that others sell ?

When I first discovered this company it was b/c I was looking for beads. His are guaranteed 98% tungsten, I thought huh?

With some research I found out tungsten beads are all made by two Chinese factories and at best 60-70 percent tungsten. His factory is in Germany. This led me on to other stuff from Chinese factories and I started finding stuff that made me realize brand loyalty is ridiculous as everyone's stuff is pretty much coming from the same place. Maybe a few design or color tweaks, but all the same...For Example.

His hooks are designed by him using Hayabusa Steel, and in Japan. Need more info, give him a call. You'll find he is the one who actually picks up the phone and can answer all your questions from his 40+ years in the business.

FYI, I'm not affiliated with this company just thought I'd pass on material info for the original poster. Maybe you should order some hooks and do your own comparison.

Good luck...

Unless it is stamped "Made in USA", you can bet that parts or all of the product is imported and most brands are indeed relabels, this is true in almost any kind of goods not just fishing stuff. Even a portion of the supermarket food is imported "fresh".

The Textreme products site looks promising.

nice to have another option for tying materials but i fail to see how it help the original posters problem in post #1