Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Fun with squirmy wormies

Yep ... that was the year someone gave me a baggie with the Legs.  I remembered it being you.  

7 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Mark, what size hooks are you using?

The last three were 1 & 2/0 the jig hooks are 10's

I'll post some more later and am looking for feedback.  I am trying to tie some crappie flies on size 4 jig hooks and the plastic keeps rotating.  The previous fly is for bass.

Edited by MuskyFlyGuy
forgot a sentence

5 hours ago, MuskyFlyGuy said:

I'll post some more later and am looking for feedback.  I am trying to tie some crappie flies on size 4 jig hooks and the plastic keeps rotating.  The previous fly is for bass.

This was posted by Poopdeck back a little bit. I bet it will help.

If you need to tie them in just put a little dubbing on your thread before wrapping around the squirmy. The dubbing tames the rubber for some reason. 

You can start with the worm on your side of the hook and do a couple of loose pinch wraps.  This will pull the worm on top if you use  moderately lose wraps.  Wrap tighter as you go toward the eye, while holding the tail on top with your off hand.  Once satsfied, you can add a drop of glue at the eye end.  (Terry and Roxanne Wilson think that big Bluegill can smell glue and recommend avoiding it. ) Then wrap the body while holding the tail straight..I use 6/0 Uni thread.  Hope this helps.  Like anything else, gets easier with repetition.

I don't personally know that glue hurts anything,  just telling what I read.  I have caugh nice bluegill using flies with head cement or glue. 

23 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Try superglue. Once secure with glue follow with loose wraps or no wraps. 

The squirmies I have, superglue dissolves them instantaneously like pouring salt on a slug.

30 minutes ago, Dominecker said:

The squirmies I have, superglue dissolves them instantaneously like pouring salt on a slug.

I have not had that problem.  I've got some that were given to me ... but they are different sizes, so I assume they're from different sources (toys).  None of them have dissolved in superglue, yet.

The wormies from the Walgreen wormie balls melted a little bit when the brand CA glue I use (E-Z bond) was applied but it was manageable.