Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Ostrich scud

Hey guys, I see some guys tying scuds with ostrich. I was trying to tie one up and the ostrich plume Ive got the fibers dont even reach to the point on a size 20 hook. Ive seen these tied in 16s before and with the fibers reaching past the points on those. Am I doing it wrong? Or am I getting junky ostrich? Any suggestions?

post-58316-0-95616900-1583646069_thumb.jpeg

My ostrich rolls out just right on #14 & 16 scuds, one reason I like it, but I only use black and orange.

BTW, your last two videos here were killer, thanks for posting.

Most likely the Ostrich is too narrow. It seems to come in different thicknesses, similar to Peacock herl.

I've never seen a real scud with legs that go down to the hook point. In fact I've never seen a hook point on a scud. I think it looks great. A judge in some fly tying contest may not agree but me and the fish think it looks perfect. Don't sweat a photo people look at.

I've never seen a real scud with legs that go down to the hook point. In fact I've never seen a hook point on a scud. I think it looks great. A judge in some fly tying contest may not agree but me and the fish think it looks perfect. Don't sweat a photo people look at.

Nooo, I want to tie these in a larger size. The one I tied was a 20... Id like to tie them in 16 if possible, then the ostrich would be way way too short. Im not complaining about the one I tied, I like it. Just more about why my ostrich is not allowing for a realistic scud look on a 16...

Poopdeck, btw, thank you, glad you like the fly. And worrying about the photo is part of something Ive gotta do. I think most that get into tying do so for the art of it, not just the fish catching ability of a fly. But even more so, for me, I have that YouTube channel that I work on. If my photos look terrible, I just flat out wont get views. And why put up a video if no one will watch it? Lol! If I put some effort into the video and the photos I get exponentially more views. And therefor can show more people how to tie a fly. Of course Im not tying this one to put on video, just now has gotten to become habit. Lol!

I agree. I've never seen a bushy-legged scud with long legs. It looks fine to me.

try emu or rhea feathers for longer fibers

try a smaller gape hook

try larger ostrich plumes

try using dubbing and pick out the dubbing to create the legs to your desired length

try to find the tying commandment that dictates the length of scud legs. if you cant, then try not to worry about it

try not to overthink simple fly patterns

try fishing what you already have tied. it might suprise you

Wow ok, I guess I didnt explain what I wanted. I wanted to tie a size 16, and what I tied was a 20. I said Ive seeen others tie to the hook point on a 16 not I want to tie to hook point. Im not thinking what I tied wont catch fish, just would like to tie it in a 16... Not a 20! What I tied is perfectly fine to me. Just wont look like that on a 16. Heck an 18 didnt even look good.

My question was simple. Am I tying it wrong, as in is there a trick to get the hurl to sit longer? Or do I have hurl that is too short? And where do you get better quality and bushier (longer fiber) hurl? I got answers sorta to some of those questions, but not where to get the longer hurl. Thanks!

Flat, thanks! Glad you like the videos.

Darrell and flat, where you guys getting your ostrich? Lol!

Here is what I can tell you:

Found 12 packs of Ostrich in my stock... 9 labeled “herl” ..3 labled “plumes” from 6 different companies... the plumes have longer fibers near the butt (end that sticks in bird) and are gradually smaller going up towards the tip.

I have herl and plumes, both from Yellowstone Fly Company, the herl fibers are uniform size. The plumes are not. Much longer fibers on butt end of plumes.

My observation is that all scuds (amphipoda) are not created equal. The pond scuds in my neighborhood are quite small when contrasted with tailwater scuds in the North Platte and Big Horn rivers.

Here is one photo that may help you make up a “universal rule” on leg length if proportions hold true among different scud species.

23F5E496-3BE5-46D5-AA0D-29AF88238443.png

Carry On, sir, I think you are on right track if you are trying to match the hatch

Thanks flat!

So I think what I have is hurl, and they are fairly uniform. Slight taper going up to the tip. Problem is I don’t live near a fly shop that would carry these things so I cannot just pick through and find the bushiest hurl. Haha! I’ll look for Yellowstone fly company hurl. Maybe theirs is bushier. Mine is hareline I believe.

@10 I attempted to "like this" post flytire. Apparently 1 like exceeds my daily quota on this forum. I am impressed how well management knows me!