Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

It finally happened

49 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

While he may not have talked to Mike, Mike never said he stopped talking to his coworker

You mean Mike may have kept talking to the guy? Poor guy.😀

Well, this kind of tragedy has never happened to me, and I'm sure if or when it does, I won't be laughing like I did at these stories.  Sorry for all your losses.  

🤪 You guys are soooo funny.

Actually, you're both somewhat correct.  While he didn't want to talk to me, I didn't refrain from reminding him that, "Don't you need to buy some more fishing gear?"

Or, "Have you checked those rod tie downs in your boat, yet?"

Or, "Are you giving up bass fishing?  Or do you have enough rods to continue?"

Etc. etc.

I know i am going to jinx myself but i have not lost a rod,  but surf fishing up in Mass i had two buddies both lose rods in the same night.   We were fishing a night tide from shore,  within 15 min two rods were towed out to sea.    After that we all bought better sand spikes and put bells on   For night fishing.

My crazy uncle was fishing a large reservoir spillway in MS and thought he had caught a big one.  After struggling for a long time and drawing a crowd, he pulled out a 5 gallon bucket.  Of course the on lookers laughed.  He got so mad he threw his rod in.  He tripped over his tackle box and threw it in, too, and left  After about an hour he came back with all new gear.  He had the most volitile temper of anyone I ever knew.

I worked on a boat years ago and we tournament fished the Billfish circuit.

We were fishing Million Dollar Month in the Cayman Islands. On our first day out, I had put out 4 out of the 5 lines we normally trolled. I picked up the 5th rod and clipped in the tether line as I was putting the rod in freespool to set the prop wash bait. I had no sooner clipped the tether line in when a small (150lb) Blue Marlin shot out from under the boat,grabbed the bait and took off running. It pulled the rod out of one of my hands,but I managed to hold on with the other. That little fish crossed every line we had out and made a real mess out of our spread. We did get things cleared and managed to tag the fish

I do know of a mate that was fishing the Big Rock tournament in NC. He was taking a wrap on a fish as he wired it in. The loop slipped and lassoed his wrists together. The fish surged and pulled the guy overboard and no one ever saw him again. It was a very somber week after that happened.