Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

You guys want to see my latest knife?

I have a buddy that makes knives, he started about 5 or so yrs ago. I showed him this pic Mark. His exact words to me...'Are you F***in kidding me?"

I think that speaks volumes about your skills bud ;)

Thank you guys, very much, I appreciate it a lot. My customer, and he's a friend, received the knife yesterday and he seems to be pretty happy. I'm not sure though, all I heard was a bunch of stuttering. He said he'd call me back when he gets done with that. I've started on the next one, a big Bowie.

Looking forward to seeing that Mark, I've always wanted a Bagwell style Bowie, it's on the list of things to make for myself.

11 hours ago, vicente said:

Looking forward to seeing that Mark, I've always wanted a Bagwell style Bowie, it's on the list of things to make for myself.

Bagwell certainly has the Bowie/fighter down. This is not that. It's a big old gaudy southern style with none of the charisma that Bagwells knives have. You can follow the building of my Bowie in two different places if you like.

Here; https://knifedogs.com/threads/every-once-in-a-while-somebody-just-wants-a-big-bowie.51099/

or here; https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/every-once-in-a-while-some-one-just-wants-a-big-bowie.1718451/

People ask different questions on these forums, during these builds so it's kind of fun to see both forums.

Bagwells style is a great one and I've done some in a sleeker patterns like his but I try very hard not to do what I see other makers do.

HA ha ha ... choking on a swallow of my drink !!!

I fully believe YOUR idea of 

22 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

none of the charisma that Bagwells knives have.

Is everyone else's idea of, "Holy Sh** !!! That's beautiful !!!"

3 hours ago, mikechell said:

HA ha ha ... choking on a swallow of my drink !!!

I fully believe YOUR idea of 

Is everyone else's idea of, "Holy Sh** !!! That's beautiful !!!"

Bagwells style is it's own thing Mark's knives are great and he does a terrific job especially on handles, his are among the best I've seen, but one of Bagwells bowies in plain carbon steel with a simple handle is pretty unmistakably, clean, and beautiful.

24 minutes ago, vicente said:

Bagwells style is it's own thing Mark's knives are great and he does a terrific job especially on handles, his are among the best I've seen, but one of Bagwells bowies in plain carbon steel with a simple handle is pretty unmistakably, clean, and beautiful.

He has mastered beautiful simplicity. I can do that too, but my customers have come to expect something on the other end of the spectrum from me. So they get it.

There's already a Bagwell, no point in trying to be another one.

My ABS Journeyman smith test knives show a little bit about what we mean when we talk about simple beauty. It's about the lines, and the "flow" and sleekness. Bill Bagwell is the master at that. You almost have to be a knife maker to see it and appreciate it.

Knapp_160604-web.jpg

17 hours ago, vicente said:

I dig the blade on the second one from the left,  all are quite nice though.

Yep, that's probably as close to a Bagwell as I've gotten. Thanks.

I just tend to prefer a slightly slimmer knife, I do like the big once too, if I have a nice knife I'm not going to be using it for chopping wood or anything like that, so no need to have the extra weight.