Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

What should I tie next?

38 minutes ago, TIER said:

But you have to admit for the lack for gear, i am not making that bad of videos.

Obviously, many do not “admit” this.  

I have seen some great videos come out of GoPros. Here are some tips to improve your videos, from a watcher's perspective. I am in general a good cameraperson with phones and standard cameras- film and digital; I've used a GoPro before as well. I assume you are using a tripod? Try a rear-mounted tripod or quadpod looking over your shoulder. That will provide a much better angle. If your 'pod is too short for that, stand it on a tall piece of furniture behind you. Camera angle is very important. You also don't want shaky video.

For a background, try a green (or other muted color/tone that your fly will stand out from) sheet of paper behind your fly in one of those alligator-clip things for holding photos. You can make your own, more sturdy background holder with a board, some stiff wire, and an alligator clip. Get an adjustable lamp! Lighting is important. If money isn't an issue (as you're young like me I expect it is) get a Moffatt lamp and mount. This is the best lamp you can buy and is very adjustable, and it swivels on its base. I was lucky to be given an older model with a magnifier; it's great. Not much has changed in the newer ones. The quick-disconnect coupler is very handy, and a C clamp with a quick--disconnect fitting can be obtained (or made if you have the male coupler, a C-clamp, and a drill) quite cheaply. I use LED bulbs because they last and don't create as much heat as incandescents.

Use your editing software to cut out wrapping thread and other dull procedures. If you jog the camera, stop recording and readjust the angle before continuing to shoot. Reshoot the affected portion of video.

Check spelling/grammar/capitalization in your captions. Makes it easier to read. Similarly, strip, repaint, and clear coat your vise; a fresh coat of paint will improve aesthetics dramatically.

Don't use fine-bladed, expensive scissors to cut wire; use a disposable razor blade or maybe a pair of sturdy cheap scissors or side cutters. This doesn't relate much to improving your videos, but definitely lengthens the life of your scissors. My first pair of fly tying scissors is in near perfect condition despite being used for almost all of my tying. Always use the right tool for the job. Surgical implements are also very good quality, if you know any doctors or veterinary surgeons, try asking nicely if their practice or hospital would mind donating some cast-offs. Even if you don't personally know any doctors, a polite, preferably handwritten and signed letter to "whom it may concern" or a specific person will work wonders.

Most importantly, pay attention to your fly's proportions and general neatness. For example, a Pheasant Tail should be tied according to the recipe for a Pheasant Tail, and it should be slim and ribbed with fine wire if you choose to use wire. Of course, many small details are optional, but in a how-to video try to stick to the recipe. For your patterns, I would suggest putting up a quick shot of what your creation is meant to imitate (Unless it's an attractor pattern) Always include a nice shot of your finished fly.

Thank you, samsonboi. Do i use the background color with the videos, too?

But, there is one problem, my editing software can't cut things out.

Let me find a decent camera somewhere in this house. I'll post a pic of my tying station with the background up. It is easy on the eyes even when not videoing; I am fortunate to have a nice brown wall trim so I don't need the background except for camera work.

On 4/25/2020 at 2:02 PM, TIER said:

Do you guys have anything you want me to tie? If you do please feel free to tell me.

How about a red tag? Supposed to be good for grayling.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:02 PM, TIER said:

Do you guys have anything you want me to tie? If you do please feel free to tell me.

i do not have any patterns i want you to tie and post to youtube but i would request that you take some time off from being the next steven spielberg and learn some basic fly tying techniques before tying your next fly

go to tim flaglers tightline videos in the link below and click on "Tying Techniques" and start with video 12. this playlist is for tying technique. you struggled with the basic technique of starting the thread on the hook. video 12 will help you with this

https://www.youtube.com/user/tightlinevideo/playlists

your "parachute adams" is not an established "parachute adams". 

compare this parachute adams with yours. not quite the same

same thing with your pheasant tail nymph

will your flies catch fish. absolutely. fish are dumb

but they could be a lot better 

34 minutes ago, flytire said:

i do not have any patterns i want you to tie and post to youtube but i would request that you take some time off from being the next steven spielberg and learn some basic fly tying techniques before tying your next fly

go to tim flaglers tightline videos in the link below and click on "Tying Techniques" and start with video 12. this playlist is for tying technique. you struggled with the basic technique of starting the thread on the hook. video 12 will help you with this

https://www.youtube.com/user/tightlinevideo/playlists

your "parachute adams" is not an established "parachute adams". 

compare this parachute adams with yours. not quite the same

same thing with your pheasant tail nymph

will your flies catch fish. absolutely. fish are dumb

but they could be a lot better 

the thing is, that's the whole point of my Youtube channel is to provide daily videos. Yeah, i admit those two were bad.

12 minutes ago, TIER said:

Btw who is steven spielberg?

Message Mark Knapp if you want the book I am offering (for last time) as I will send him my copy to forward to you when I ship him a Badger airbrush compressor this week...

Google him... it is possible that more people have watched a film from him than anyone else....

4 minutes ago, TIER said:

the thing is, that's the whole point of my Youtube channel is to provide daily videos. Yeah, i admit those two were bad.

I think, the point of what everything everyone is trying to do is that you need to slow down, take a breath and concentrate on doing one thing well and then do the next thing until you can do it well, instead of trying to do as much as you can as fast as you can. (Many of us told you that months ago, that's why people sometimes get harsh with you, we have better things to do with our time).

It is near impossible for anybody to put a new video on every day, including those people that are well experienced in tying flies and making videos.

I look at many different videos of the same fly, and tie many of that same fly so I'm fairly proficient at it before I post one, make and SBS, or, for heavens sake, do a video of it.

You have given yourself goals that are un-obtainable for even the most proficient tier and video maker.

Woah man! Never heard of Steven Spielberg?! Ever watched Jurassic Park? Hook? Ready Player One? Indiana Jones? Saving Private Ryan? E.T.? Jaws?

3 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

You have given yourself goals that are un-obtainable for even the most proficient tier and video maker.

Yep, Mark, seems the crux of the problem at this stage

2 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

Yep, Mark, seems the crux of the problem at this stage

Oh, all right. Every other day?