Fly Tying
TSMcDougald

Mystery Fur

So, my wife comes home from the Antique Mall with two bags of fur. One is marked deer face. And Sure enough, it had a deer face in it.

Deer_Face.thumb.jpg.fad26045180a86ad0b7a0a52e2d1b127.jpg

It also contained a small bit of mystery fur.

20200627_162035.thumb.jpg.3c5e69c9458b207dc18e0780fb11aaa9.jpg

The Second bag was marked "deer, bear, squirrel" I am not sure if that is what was actually in it. This is the first piece. It looks more like moose to me, but I could be wrong.

20200627_162146.thumb.jpg.2b04b83685d48bc2a11f406c2fd8137f.jpg

This is the second piece. It does look like bear, but I could be wrong.

20200627_162204.thumb.jpg.7c0fce5fe091d89a38509b6dc30390ae.jpg

And this is the third piece. It looks more like opossum to me.

20200627_162223.thumb.jpg.ad70ae92690b8f09a935fa14b379d2a4.jpg

4 minutes ago, rotaryflytyingdotcom said:

I'd go with your guess on each. Mystery fur remains a mystery 🙂 That "Deer Mask" is money for Compara-duns - snout and around the eyes.

That is what I was thinking. There is also some nice white fur on it that looks like a good calf tail substitute (or should that be vice versa?)

Second one down, Coyote fur. I thought it might be red fox, but fox doesn't have much grey under fur until you get around the belly. Third one, Moose mane, fourth one, moose body hair. Fifth one down might be US opossum, but am not positive. 

Regards,

Mark

The underfur on #2 looks like Muskrat. Muskrat guard hairs are generally darker though. It should be easy to distinguish from Coyote by the texture of guard hairs.

Hi my best guesses are from top picture to bottom  1) wolf.  2) red squirrel  3) moose main  4) opossum 5) mongoose hope this helps just looking at photograph's is not as good as viewing the fur in day light

Kind regards Steve 😉

You have no bear my friend, moose mane and moose body are the third and forth pictures, as was mentioned. The first is of course a deer mask. The second one I believe is a piece of blond beaver. The blue/grey under-fur is indicative of that, much like musk-rat. The last one looks very much like my ausie opossum, but it could be coyote depending on the length of the hair.