Fly Tying
Moshup

Collins Hackle

Received some Collins hackle today And I thought some would like a gander.  All three capes are grade 3. Golden grizzly, Smokey dun and Dark smokey dun. I also posted a pic of the grizzly saddle that came with the golden grizzly . Not half bad. The saddles that came with the duns are nothing to write home about so I won’t bother to post them..

083A4273-23A9-44C2-A14B-F3977B900703.jpeg

2404A006-F8DC-4DA7-926C-09C597FE39E0.jpeg

AB9BDFA9-5542-4185-8F33-FB8DC8B4561C.jpeg

D1FB68E0-2AF9-45EA-A4A2-B0C872F7C6BA.jpeg

E6A299BB-B755-4980-BDCD-AE65A5B47162.jpeg

First I must tell you I have no skin in the game, this is just based on my experience with him.

Charlie Collins was a guest speaker at our fly tying club a couple of years ago, and just so you all know, he is a great guy and he takes serious pride in his product and customer service.

On top of that I believe his hackle is really tough to beat for the money. The necks are cut in such a way that they include the spade hackles along the sides and he always includes the saddle with every neck. Just the kind of small businessman in the fly fishing world worth supporting.

Love those feathers Mogup.......

i have some collins hackles in grizzly, brown and black

they are fine for dry flies but they do not compare to whiting hackle (what hackle does?)

i think you need more wraps for fuller hackled dry flies

just my opinion

16 minutes ago, flytire said:

i have some collins hackles in grizzly, brown and black

they are fine for dry flies but they do not compare to whiting hackle (what hackle does?)

i think you need more wraps for fuller hackled dry flies

just my opinion

I think you are correct flytire.

In my opinion, you get what you pay for when buying hackle. The other side of the coin is how good does hackle have to be tie a functional dry fly?

My sweet spot is Whiting and Whiting Hebert Miner pro grade hackle.

I agree with all of the above.  A really good value for a "whole lotta feathers" and will tie very fishable flies to be thrown but not as nice as Whiting when they are to be shown.

i have all the standard Whiting colors and these days I’m looking for something different. My Whiting capes and saddles will last generations and I really don’t need to buy anymore unless something in particular catches my eye. With Collins I can buy 3 capes for the price of one aWhiting silver and increase the variety of my color inventory and not feel bad that I’m not tying dozens of flies off of that cape because the color is not a main stay of a large nbr of flies .  Other than the stimulators and the Wulff patterns I have no need for my flies to look like hair brushes here in the east.

I do not buy Collins hackle for the black,brown and grizzly colors. Though the commercial and grade 3 in the colors

are much more than adequate for those that are not commercial tyers.

7 hours ago, Mogup said:

I do not buy Collins hackle for the black,brown and grizzly colors. Though the commercial and grade 3 in the colors

are much more than adequate for those that are not commercial tyers.

I am still pretty new at this so forgive me if I don't ask this correctly. Do the Collins Hackles come with schlappen? I have one fly that uses natural Grizzly schlappen and I have a hard time finding it. Would this be a solution? 

4 minutes ago, Pbass said:

I am still pretty new at this so forgive me if I don't ask this correctly. Do the Collins Hackles come with schlappen? I have one fly that uses natural Grizzly schlappen and I have a hard time finding it. Would this be a solution? 

Pbass the Collins hackle grade 3 and up comes with saddles . For the most part they are not great for dry flies but can

be put to other such uses such as bass flies. When I get a chance I’ll take a picture of a few and post on this thread.

2 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Pbass the Collins hackle grade 3 and up comes with saddles . For the most part they are not great for dry flies but can

be put to other such uses such as bass flies. When I get a chance I’ll take a picture of a few and post on this thread.

I am looking for the loose soft stuff like I used on this.

IMG_0886.jpeg