Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
imaxfli78

Why did my ORVIS Silver Series waders....

Just die on me. They weren't used that much and not abused ,They were 2 years old and got a small hole in the toe and I patched and then fine. Then 2 years later a small leak in a seam between the boot and fabric-fixed, fine. I know they are old, but now they aren't even usable.....it seems the water just runs in on that seam between the boot and the fabric, I don't think its the actual fabric that is just allowing water through, is it? Soooo, they can't make a seam seal that would make these things indestructible. Do all Waders just last maybe 7 years tops????

Neoprene waders?  If so, where have you been storing them?  Excessive heat can damage them.  But, more importantly, certain chemicals can cause irreparable damage.  Even the fumes from a gas can stored too close can deteriorate the neoprene.

On the other hand, if it is just a seam that's failed, I'd contact Orvis.  Even if they are 7 years old, Orvis might be able to do something for you.  Possibly give you a free shipping label to send them in for inspection.  Then they'll let you know if they're good to go or need replacing, etc.

I have the silver sonic guides and they are probably close to 10 years all the leaks in them where pretty much my doing, the seams, knees, and seat are good.  I use them frequently. I was expecting to start looking for waders possibly next year. But no complaints. Fill the waders with the hose and see where it leaks (seam or fabric)

7 years is a bit over the shelf life of a set of waders that gets used frequently. I have a set of neoprene that I duck hunt in that are 17 years old. I have so much Aquaseal on them, it looks like a giant blew his nose on them, BUT...they are dry. Aquaseal is  da bomb