Fly Tying
Landon P

Self/ad shot thing

took this picture awhile ago but just got to editing it. Turned out ok. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. 

PSFix_20200903_191532-01.jpeg

other businesses have tried but were not allowed to promote their businesses on the forum. maybe thats changed

you should edit your photo to remove the blurred circle on your left middle finger

Doesn't catch me... 

The photo is dramatic, I do like that. (I didn't see the blurry spot until FT pointed it out, yes fix that)

I'd like it better if "pokey" was said in your logo and not in text as a headline (it's a really professional logo; the name on its own is not professional, but works well with the logo), and if the slogan was "Let me exceed your expectations." Better match for the face. 

Lots of adults prefer to hire a neighborhood kid to mow the lawn than hire a service (or do it themselves). This ad could speak to that impulse.

6 hours ago, flytire said:

other businesses have tried but were not allowed to promote their businesses on the forum. maybe thats changed

you should edit your photo to remove the blurred circle on your left middle finger

Thank you never even saw that spot. Not trying to advertise just trying to get solid advice on it 

Along with the blurred spot ... fix your "grammar".

As in your logo ... it's "Pokey's Flies" ... not "Pokeys Flies".

7 hours ago, flytire said:

not allowed to promote their businesses

Since there's no "link" or any other business related info ... I don't consider this a "promotion."  It's not like we don't all know that Landon is trying to get a business up and running.  As usual, Steve will make the call on this one.

10 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Doesn't catch me... 

The photo is dramatic, I do like that. (I didn't see the blurry spot until FT pointed it out, yes fix that)

I'd like it better if "pokey" was said in your logo and not in text as a headline (it's a really professional logo; the name on its own is not professional, but works well with the logo), and if the slogan was "Let me exceed your expectations." Better match for the face. 

Lots of adults prefer to hire a neighborhood kid to mow the lawn than hire a service (or do it themselves). This ad could speak to that impulse.

Hows this chug? 

Adobe_Post_20200904_2014370.5264383411127885.png

Less tying, more reading...

Exceed...

Expectations...

🤦‍♂️

That said, it is what I suggested, but I'm sorry, it still just doesn't do it for me. Thought it might, but it doesn't

Not to discourage you, I like what you're doing

44 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Less tying, more reading...

Exceed...

Expectations...

🤦‍♂️

That said, it is what I suggested, but I'm sorry, it still just doesn't do it for me. Thought it might, but it doesn't

Omg i am an idiot! Im putting the vise away right now until I can learn basic flipping spelling 

On 9/3/2020 at 11:00 PM, Landon P said:

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

A guy from in my neck of the woods was asking $60 for a 3-hour introductory group lesson in fly/bass-bug tying. He noted that he had about 4 years of experience.

I don't know how many "takers" he got, but that sounds like a good gig if you can get it.

Is that consistent with the prevailing rate is at the fly fishing shows (I don't have one in my locale)? The teacher has apparently attended or been invited to many such shows.

you still cant spell "exceed" and "expectations" correctly. no spell check on your computer?

what is the expectation you want us to believe

I don't think it needs the "expectations" statement.  Custom flies are SUPPOSED to be better than mass production.

Tightened up, there was too much blank space.  I just moved stuff.  You can rearrange the original.

Adobe_Post_20200904_2014370.5264383411127885.png.abc309c42f40b4e3d14f566ea55e2a89.png

4 hours ago, cphubert said:

Custom tied one fly at a time

😏as opposed to tying them two or three at a time? 😉

On 9/3/2020 at 11:00 PM, Landon P said:

took this picture awhile ago but just got to editing it. Turned out ok. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. 

Sure!  Pick a pattern you think will sell and tie 6 dozen.  After which, ask yourself if you want to know what anyone thinks of an ad idea or if you really want to get into mass production of anything related to fishing.  You'll get orders and requests, you'll agree to fill them, then you'll have to do the work regardless of what or how you intended this endeavor to go.  

I never could do this, it's tedious as all get out.  Not being mean here, just nudging you and others to take a realistic look at what this idea means and what meeting (let alone exceeding) expectations really entails.  Just fish and tie for a few (many?) more years and then see if you want risk totally ruining the hobby for yourself.🙃

I've rejected this idea on flytying, lure pouring, and rod building all my adult life.  Never underestimate word of mouth and resultant workload, it'll kill ya.

On 9/4/2020 at 10:08 PM, chugbug27 said:

As a "buyer", a closeup of a well-tied fly or two would be what I was looking for. I don't see a reason not to include the tyer's photo too, but the "quality of the examples" would be more important to me than anything else in the "ad".  A misspelling would scream "amateur".  I hope this is  helpful.

Bill