Fly Tying
Johnw1986

Tying with mourning dove feathers

Has anyone ever tied with mourning dove feathers? We hunt a lot of dove around here and I’ve always wanted to try some out, any ideas or pictures would be a big help 

here is a good pair I plucked from a recent hunt

EF7FDCF2-6D91-4571-9C4A-09DBB8792B22.jpeg

I found a fly shop in Tennessee that says they sell the old classic Smoky Mountain “Yallerhammer.” I asked them what they used to substitute for the Golden Flicker feather that is palmered up the shank of the hook. And he told me that they use a feather from the underside of a dove wing. I would love to have a dove wing. Or at least some feathers from the underside. Why don’t you dye up some in bright yellow and send me half? 😇

BB

10 hours ago, SBPatt said:

I found some small ones, the remnants of a hawk kill in our back yard; used them to tie soft hackles.

Regards,
Scott

I was thinking the same thing- they look like great soft hackle feathers.  From the photo they also look rigid enough at the bottom to cut matching slips for winged wets.

Fly tying (for me anyway) often is about substituting what I have on hand for what I don't have.  I could certainly find a use for mourning dove.

8 hours ago, Johnw1986 said:

I’ll be glad to send you some wings next time I get a few

That would be great, John. Thanks. The Yallerhammer is supposed to be a great bream fly, but I have never seen the fly before except in pictures.

The Yallerhammer was a prominent trout fly that was used effectively in the Smoky Mountains region.

Ever try out some Matuka's or one of the Mrs. Simpson/Chile Pepper type patterns?  I think you could find some feathers on those birds that would work for either.

3 hours ago, breambuster said:

That would be great, John. Thanks. The Yallerhammer is supposed to be a great bream fly, but I have never seen the fly before except in pictures.

The next swap you host or I host , I’ll mail The wings back with it, if I can bag anymore by then

I mentioned the Mrs. Simpson earlier.  Also check out a couple other New Zealand "Killer" flies - the Hamil's Killer and the Walker's Killer for some ideas on patterns to use these feathers.  The Lord's Killer and Mallard Killer are other types of these streamer flies.

I've wondered about mourning dove feathers, too.  Anyone know of a commercial source for the skins?  On-line search found none.  And how about urban pigeon skins; should be lots of good stuff on those, too.

Thanks, Bob H