Fly Tying
atxdiscgolfer

Fly Tyer Magazine Swap

22 minutes ago, vicrider said:

My understand is that the Moose Mane does not have the hollow fur of the deer and should sink to just below the surface while parachute holds that easy to eat snack ready. Oh yeah, that's what I read.

👎 Not So!  Moose Hair, including the mane is hollow

Vicrider, one of the first flies I learned to tie, 100 years ago, was the Mosquito. It has a moose mane body. Your post reminder me of my technique. I would hold my left forefinger against the backside of the shank as I wrapped. Of course, I had to move it when I actually came down the backside, but then I would hold that wrap in place with my finger until I made the next one. It was a kind of 1-wrap-at-a-time process, but it worked and it put only a small amount of tension on the hairs and only as the wrap was actually made. At any rate, it worked for me.

BB

Okay, moose mane is hollow but I think wrapping it like that squishes the air out as you wind. Interesting article on the moose. Used to have a lot of them in northern MN but I understand they are about gone now from habitat change and brain worm from deer. Used to even have a draw season for a few years up there. More than once I'd take visitors out to a couple of places including a deadwaters where they spent a lot of time feeding and a taconite rail line tracks they browsed on a lot. Got behind a few on early morning fishing trips and I just followed them at a distance until they left road. Never blew the horn since there were stories of moose attacking when someone did that. Friend of mine bought one of those new little Toyota or Datsun trucks when they first showed up here and was killed when he hit one and went under it and took the cab off. They stand tall and are not a good idea to hit with vehicle.

4 hours ago, atxdiscgolfer said:

I just sent over address redietz

Got it.  Flies are tied, still need to toe tag.

Flies are in the mail.  I tied them as per the dressing in Fly Tyer  (but a size smaller) and included a few extras tied the way I usually tie them.  I don't know if they're of any use to you in Texas, but at least they should be good for panfish.

Thanks Redietz, I will be looking out for them. I have no doubt that the flies will come in handy, in Texas we can fish most species; we have a Tailwater at the Guadalupe River for Trout, bass and panfish in rivers, creeks, and lakes in addition to all of the coastal species- Redfish, Seatrout, and Flounder. 

Mine went out Pony Express today. With the snow, sleet, freezing rain we got today it'll make the PO live up to there motto. 

Nick

The mail seems really fast for this swap, considering how long it seems to take to get anything else delivered recently.