Fly Tying
chugbug27

Seeing That Tiemco 100 Is Not Standard Length

Yes SBPatt, I use right now the TMC 2488 hook,and I do loose fish,more than I would like. I never looked for a daiichi because I need it down to at least 22, ang I don’t think the have it. If you do see a curved midge hook that small, please let me know. Dairicki is harder to find bow because feathercraft is sejjing those cheaper Umqua hooks. But in order to do so, featercrart had to agree to stop selling Dai ricki hooks.I don’t know were to get them now. Plus Dan Bailey shut their doors, so you may never see them again. Weeds are tuff and they always will be. I use 6x fluorocarbon, but weeds are still weeds. But when I go down to 5x, first of all it’s a tight fir thfough the eye,but I get less fish. I got a Firehole that may work, but I haven’t tried it yet. I harp on this because most of my fish every year come on hooks 22 and smaiier ( I got some crazy midges. Eat em like candy.)

No Mogup. Lead kids up stream. I just looked at my buddy and said in a very calm voice “don’t ever take your camera out until the fish in, EVER !!!

Just throwing it out there Tiemco makes a stronger heavy wire #22 nymph hook ...TMC 2488H.       

Thanks @Al Agelwei. I've found Tiemco to be great hooks generally, but I usually buy for value and yes there's lots of that to be found. I've got no loyalty, but I am a bit partial to the TMC 206BL.

SBPatt, when you set the hook, set it down stream. But then immediately turn your rod angled almost straight up stream and apply side pressure to try to keep him upstream of you and forced his head kinda towards you.they may stay above you the whole fight. That and his head almost forced towards you may give you the upper hand and out of those weeds. That’s why I fish a 8’9”soft rod when fishing really small flies. And Dan Bailey is out of business, so you may never see Dai Ricki hooks again, unless they sold them to somebody. Would be nice.

Edited by Al Agelwei
Misspelling

ok chugbug. Always get what your happy with. I was diehard TMC guy for years, so I know how it is. There is still one TMC hook I never want to be without, and that’s the TMC 2488 emerger hook. It’s the best emerger hook out there. But 

On 10/5/2020 at 10:14 PM, chugbug27 said:

Thanks @Al Agelwei. I've found Tiemco to be great hooks generally, but I usually buy for value and yes there's lots of that to be found. I've got no loyalty, but I am a bit partial to the TMC 206BL.

@chugbug27 I like that 206BL also. Too bad 20 is the smallest size it comes in. 

On 10/5/2020 at 8:55 PM, Al Agelwei said:

Yes SBPatt, I use right now the TMC 2488 hook,and I do loose fish,more than I would like. I never looked for a daiichi because I need it down to at least 22, ang I don’t think the have it. If you do see a curved midge hook that small, please let me know. Dairicki is harder to find bow because feathercraft is sejjing those cheaper Umqua hooks. But in order to do so, featercrart had to agree to stop selling Dai ricki hooks.I don’t know were to get them now. Plus Dan Bailey shut their doors, so you may never see them again. Weeds are tuff and they always will be. I use 6x fluorocarbon, but weeds are still weeds. But when I go down to 5x, first of all it’s a tight fir thfough the eye,but I get less fish. I got a Firehole that may work, but I haven’t tried it yet. I harp on this because most of my fish every year come on hooks 22 and smaiier ( I got some crazy midges. Eat em like candy.)

@Al AgelweiTMC2488's go down to 26s and Gamakatsu C12-BM's go down to 30. Where do you fish?

That article really does clear things up, a lot. Thanks @BHouk 

As @SilverCreek said (and I should have listened more carefully), and per Craven's article, hook size is determined from gape (not length), and "standard" length flows from gape. So the "wide gape" Tiemco in fact does have a "standard" length -- for that gape, translating to a hook that is one size longer than a normal gape standard dry hook. Also, the one size difference on a standard hook translates to one hook-eye length difference in shank length.

The article also helps explain for me why the Tiemco 100 seems thinner than just 1xf. It's because the gauge of wire is 1xf for a standard length hook of normal gape. This would then translate to seeming 2xf, again because of the 1x wide gape.

What's crazy to me is that all discussions of fly size and hatch matching I remember seeing have talked in terms of hook size as though it were shank length. And they have always to my memory equated Tiemco 100 and Mustad 94840 as both being the same in that regard. The only way they're the same is, as @SilverCreek says, their proportions in gape width to shank length, not for trying to match hook size to the size of an actual fly.

1 hour ago, BHouk said:

A timely article in Fly Fisherman online magazine.  Charlie Craven discusses hooks:  https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/Making-Sense-of-Hooks/383617

There is a video and a written article at this link.  The video is very informative about many of the issues raised on this thread.

Charlie Craven rocks

Glad you enjoyed the article and found it as informative as I did.  I guess this is why we all tie in proportion to the hook; the tail is a shank in length, the wing is a hook gap wide. This is not only true across the size of hook, a 14 compared to a 16, but the manufacturers and styles as well.  In any case, I thought it was a great video and article.