Fly Tying
McFlyLures

My Sons first river trip!

Fly fishing on a river has different challenges than just a small lake. I really wanted to take my son out to the river to catch some fish, so he could start to learn how to deal with them. While he has a lot to learn, I do feel he did very well and im proud he listened to me for the most part. Well I guess until the end when I was trying to say good buy to you all. HAHA. But I was the same way. I never could stop talking, heck I still can't. And neither can he. Thats ok though, hope it wasn't too difficult to get through that section of the video. I appreciate you all coming along with us again for another outing. I need to try and take my son more often, but I only get to go fishing once or twice a month so, sometimes he has to come along. Anyway, below is the links to the boots and the rods.

Okay, well, that gets my vote as the best McFly Angler video EVER 😄 Your son is awesome and you are a great dad. Nicely done. This really made my week. 😊

57 minutes ago, Bryon Anderson said:

Okay, well, that gets my vote as the best McFly Angler video EVER 😄 Your son is awesome and you are a great dad. Nicely done. This really made my week. 😊

Thanks Bryon!  Lol.  I’m really not the best dad though, I get quite frustrated of late, now that we are all stuck in the same little apartment together, he isn’t going to school, I’m his teacher and father and even kinda mother as well right now (mom is a nurse and they are working her to the bone).  Kinda all me really...   So yeah I have been known to do some yelling lately.  I don’t like it, it bothers me.  Working on it no question though.   My son is a good kid, he has what they call “in the spectrum” of autism basically.  So he can be difficult at times.  But has a heart of gold and is very loving.  He will do just fine when he gets older, just gotta get him over the hump..  haha

No parent is perfect, and we all have those moments that we look back on and cringe with shame forever after. That happens even in normal parenting circumstances. With all the additional stress of doing that job during this pandemic...well, I can only imagine. The fact that you care enough to recognize your mistakes and work hard to do better is what matters. 

That's some great father some time. Who care about the fishing and the learning. I wouldn't want to go fishing without him. Let him do his thing, he's got a lifetime to learn from you and learn well he will. I know it's hard to see it now but they grow up so fast. One day you will miss the bad casting, snags and missed fish. Great video it took me back in time wishing I could live it all over again. 

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

That's some great father some time. Who care about the fishing and the learning. I wouldn't want to go fishing without him. Let him do his thing, he's got a lifetime to learn from you and learn well he will. I know it's hard to see it now but they grow up so fast. One day you will miss the bad casting, snags and missed fish. Great video it took me back in time wishing I could live it all over again. 

Ha for sure!  As a fisherman though I have to say, the heart sinks a little when I see a fish biting and he doesn’t set.  Hahahaha!  I didn’t realize I was so verbal with my grown until listening back to it.  Just I really wanted him to catch a fish of his own.  Lol!  

Let the boy discover the hook set on his own. When he has that moment of realization that.."Thats how it works", you will have a true angler on your hands.

Great video, I miss those little runt days!  The way I look at it now with the benefit of hindsight: you can teach them how to fish or teach them to enjoy fishing.  If you do the latter, the former follows.  

1 hour ago, niveker said:

Great video, I miss those little runt days!  The way I look at it now with the benefit of hindsight: you can teach them how to fish or teach them to enjoy fishing.  If you do the latter, the former follows.  

Absolutely, good thoughts 

Went fishing with our two kids. Now we are fishing with 7 of 9 grandkids. Nothing like it. I agree with niveker's post. They grow up too fast.