Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Carver

Favorite Steelhead pattern?

With Steelie season here I was just wondering what everones favorite or most productive patterns are. Mine is the Alexandria tied on a #10.

Hey guys,

How are you fishing the flies? I'm going on the 16th and my buddies say I'm wasting my time with anything except egg flies dunno.gif I have a bunch of woolies tied in olive, black, and brown. Is there a place I can see the other two patterns? Any help would be great.

T.

Termite I fish it dead drift under an indicator with no action imparted to the fly, just mend when needed and let it drift along with the current.

Stones can be as complex as you want to make them, I know guys that spend an hour per fly when they tie stones, but honestly this is the one I tie for fishing. Its about as simple as it gets and I have noticed no difference in fishing this one compared to fishing a real detailed stone myself. Not fancy but catches tons of steelies.

user posted image

Its simply a goose biot split V tail with a black ribbed body and a brown ice dubbing thorax with a turkey wing case.Not fancy but works great and takes maybe 5 mins to tie.

SD

#10, #12 woolly bugger in black, brown, pink. With and without bead heads depending upon conditions. We get a lot of roe bag users up here in Ontario and the fish soon learn to shy clear of spawn patterns once they've been in the river a few days.

Thanks for the quick replies, I tied a few stones similar last fall but have not used them yet. I'll tie up a few more to try out. I'll be fishing the PM in Michigan.

T.

QUOTE (Termite @ Mar 28 2005, 09:52 PM)
I'll be fishing the PM in Michigan.

T.

In that case then small black stones for sure! thats where I do most of my steelheading wink.gif

Termite,

It really depends on the conditions. If I'm fishing a relatively unspooked pod of fish I've had the most success with size 6 and 8 gold bead-headed woolly buggers in brown, black and olive. If the fish are fresh and the water slightly stained, I'll use an ESL in black or purple.

Egg flies have their place but they aren't by any means the only way to get these fish. If you come across spooked or line shy fish, SD's little black stones or other scaled down nymphs can save the day.

Good luck and make sure to let us know how you made out.

Cheers,

Nick

I was out on the the weekend and caught a nice Steelhead on a small midge pattern I make with a small egg hook size 14 that I push some bright green flyline backing on. I secure it with a rib of green tying thread then add a collar of peacock herl and small bead chain for eyes. Even though the water was quite stained the fish had no problem finding it.

user posted image

Ken cool.gif

QUOTE (Kodiak Commando @ Mar 29 2005, 12:36 AM)
Gotta be a size 6 pink revolution for me.

What is a revolution